Cubase 8 and Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 Digital Mixer

Does anyone here use Cubase 8 together with a Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 digital mixing console?
I’m interested in possibly purchasing one to use in my home studio with Cubase 8 and also use it remotely for live recordings. Wanted to know if there are any compatibility issues with the Firewire and VST? I will be running it all on Windows machines.

Hi
I have been using Cubase 6, 7, & 8 together with a Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2/Win7 for a few years with no problem. No problems with Firewire as long as you make sure that you are using a firewire card in your PC with the correct chipset (Texas instruments from memory). The Presonus website will have a list of all the suitable Firewire cards you can use. I did try it originally with another good 400/800 Firewire card (which was fine for video capture) but it was no use for audio. Once I got one with the right chipset, it just worked & I never looked back.

Once your set up with the right hardware & drivers, inside Cubase you’ll see all 16 input channels for each of your audio tracks - (2 mono + 7 stereo (see inside the VST Connections window (F4)), but remember that you have to ‘Link’ up each pair of stereo channels on the mixer first. The 16.0.2 uses a piece of software called the Universal Controller plus a virtual, on-screen mixer. In the Universal Controller, there’s a menu item called WDM setup (I think?). Inside that, you’ll have the chance to rout the inputes & outputs. I could never get the main outputs of the mixer working untill I dragged the WDM Output channels from 1 & 2 to 15 & 16.

Regarding VST issues you mentioned, do you mean with VST plugin’s? If so, there’s never been an issue with that mixer.

You’ll find the 16.0.2 is great to use as you can store & recall all your mixer setting for as many different locations as you want. I find the mixer to be clean & transparent with low latency & gives plenty of bang for your buck!

Thank you VERY MUCH Maha for the information! Very helpful!