Cubase 9.5.2 Pro - Freezes on mixdown

I just realized that I’m also having this problem. I just formatted my Macbook Pro 2017 and installed High sierra and everything was perfect (I was in the begining experiencing a really big lag when closing projects, even small projects with just 1 track, but Im no longer having this issue) untill I tried to export mixdown. I’m on High SIerra 10.13.6 and cubase 9.5.0. It’s taking forever to do an audio mixdown. With a very small project (a 4min track) it seems ok.But when I add more tracks, things start to slow down. The more tracks I have, the slower the system is.

I also have High Sierra on my studio computer (Hackintosh running 10.13.4 and Cubase 9.5.30) and it’s smooth. I never had this problem.

Hello,

our developers are working on a fix to be included in 9.5.40.

Good to know. Thanks Fabio. Any release date ??

big thanks!

This is huge, thank you…

I can now comfortably order an imac pro, since cubase is now my number one daw.

Thank you.

By the way, we can’t state any dates… but as the Release Candidate is already in beta, 2 to 3 weeks sounds about right :slight_smile:

Nice, Fabio!! Thanks

That’s even huger! The imac pro is a custom and arrives Aug 30, and I know I am being selfish here (sorry), but that means i won’t have to wait long at all!

I don’t think I will even bother to format and install 10.3.3 as i had planned…

Can anyone confirm that the only cubase issue with higher versions of 10.3 OSX is the freezing on mixdown?

There aren’t low latency performance issues at all like there is in Pro Tools for example?

Hi,

No one. :wink: :smiley: But I would say it’s the only one known issue.

Sorry… I worded it very badly… Of course every software has various issues… I just meant if that was the main showstopper CAUSED specifically by mac os versions higher than 10.13.3.
For example, pro tools has problems with massive cpu spikes if the buffer is lower than 128, or 256 at higher sample rates. Pro Tools performance is bad at low buffers anyway, but this just makes it unusable, and it only happens when you upgrade to High Sierra 10.13.4, .5 or .6…

Is Cubase suffering from similar low buffer performance issues?

Right now, on OS 12.12.6, Cubase 9.5.30 has never run better for me… Performance is edging out Logic 10.4.1 by around 10% VI polyphony and when tracks are armed, Cubase can edge Logic out by as much as almost 50% from 128 buffer and upwards. Logic wins at 32 buffer… but the reason this happens is that Cubase uses all available threads when tracks are armed for record monitoring, and Logic will only assign half of the system’s available threads… So… at 64 buffer, Cubase just wins, but at 128, it thrashes Logic by even almost double simply because it is using all 8 threads on the system (for example when using a quad core i7 cpu) whereas Logic will only multi thread live tracks across 4. This applies to armed VI tracks, anything that is in record arm/monitor arm mode.

I am scared about High Sierra, but my computers are so old so the imac Pro is my most significant investment to my studio in years and I am also very excited about it… But I’d really like to work at 64 buffer if possible. I work at 128 now and one of the main reasons to upgrade my machine IS to be able to work at 64 buffer to play VI’s, particularly pianos and drums where I need that “instant” feel, as well as some guitar playing through native guitar amps.

A very kind member here provided me with the full installer of OS 10.13.3, so as soon as i receive the machine, I can format it and install the older OS, as I don’t need the features of 10.3.4 anyway (the main one is egpu).
So I guess I am asking the question, if 10.13.3 performs more stable at lower buffers, like pro tools, then I will happily install the older OS. Unfortunately sierra can not be used on imac Pro’s as there is no embedded hardware support.

If you guys believe, that besides the mixdown freeze bug, that cubase 9.5.3 otherwise performs just as well on newer High Sierra than the older pre 10.13.4 versions, then I won’t bother mucking about with the machine and will leave it exactly as is.

As you can see here, Reason also suffered from 10.13.4
https://help.propellerheads.se/hc/en-us/articles/360003035494-Reason-performance-issues-with-macOS-High-Sierra-10-13-4

AGAIN with performance issues… it seems that for whatever DAW’s exhibited problems with the newer OS, they were all performance related unfortunately.

I just want to get the very best out of Cubase I can get with my machine, this is also why I ordered before Mojave comes out as that is going to break so many things. You guys already using High Sierra know best which is why I ask… If it’s preferred i open a ticket to ask steinberg which is the best version of the OS to use for performance at low buffer, I am happy to do that too.

Cheers and thanks for reading, I know i can be long winded… :blush:

Hi,

No, there are not known performance issues related specifically to macOS 10.13.4 and higher in Cubase.

Thank you, that’s truly wonderful to know. I don’t think I am even going to bother installing PT on my imac pro, nor Logic, so will just leave the machine as it arrives with 10.13.6 and go straight to Cubase… I might even wait till 9.5.4 is out since I can use my laptop in the meantime and have a fresh install for the first time with 9.5.4 :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Just wanted to ask, is 9.5.4 any closer? Is it ok to give an ETA now or still not?

what’s happening with 9.5.4? could steiny at least release a hotfix for high sierra? an OS that has been out for over a year?

Hi,

Cubase 9.5.40 must be very close to the release.

The freeze while mixdown is not since macOS sierra 10.13.0 is out. The issue was introduced by Apple with macOS 10.13.4. So it’s not a year. :wink:

well, all other DAWs have been fixed, Cubase remains the only one with specific 10.13.4+ issues. I wonder if it also affects Mojave.

Even Pro Tools is fixed now with 10.13.6, and Avid are slower than anyone.

Logic, Ableton, Reaper, S1… no specific issues at all… Just Cubase.

I remember when Steinberg would release a hotfix to something like this.PS i just checked 10.13.4 it’s been precisely 6 months for that release, so… still not good enough in my opinion.

I remember when Steinberg would release a hotfix to something like this.PS i just checked 10.13.4 it’s been precisely 6 months for that release, so… still not good enough in my opinion.

Exactly!

Hi,
anyone has this issue on mac pro 2013 ?
High sierra 10.13.6 - cubase 9.5.30

Yes, my setup exactly. Even recently did a complete clean install of the OS and all software (not because of this) and I still have the issue.

The same issue for me as well. Just upgraded to Mac Os 10.13.6. Is there a fix for this?