Cubase 9.5 Crashes in all Projects

I’m sure that this has been asked before but …

Yesterday all was fine. I finished working on a project, saved it and retired for the night. Today, anything that I click on in the menubar results in Cubase crashing. This is not just for the project that I was last working on but all projects, as far as I can tell. My only guess at this point is a corrupt file somewhere?

I’m using an iMac under OSX 10.14.6 and Cubase 9.5.50. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers,

Keith

Hi,

Could you try in the Cubase Safe Start Mode [Disable preferences], please?

Could you try to start Cubase without plug-ins?

Could you attach the *.crash file(s)?

Mac: macOS Console utility > User Reports folder or Crash Reports in macOS 10.15 (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).

Opened Safe Start Mode but still crashed when trying to access the menubar.

Tricky to start without plugins. You have to find all the plugin folders and rename them. Anyway, did that and Cubase complained about not being able to find some plugins, not unexpectedly … but still crashed. :frowning:

Changed the names of all the plugin folders back to the original and looked for a crash file. There were a couple from a month ago when I had problems with Native Kontakt but nothing from last night. I guess it wasn’t really a crash but rather a hangup with the little rotating colour wheel there. The only way to stop it, as far as I know, was to do a force quit of Cubase.

Started Cubase again and this time it spent a few moments scanning vst’s and when fully started … it now responds to actions on the menubar!

I don’t know what happened but I’m back in business, for now at least.

Cheers,

Keith

It happened again! Out of the blue … hangup while trying to access the menubar. I did the same thing as last time and that fixed it again but I would really like to be able to get to the root cause of the problem if possible. As last time, Cubase spent some time scanning vst’s after renaming plugin folders back to their normal names.

I have noticed that occasionally Cubase will start and then hang up on scanning vst3’s. Restarting usually works but why the hang up in the first place. There appears to be a ghost in my plugins somewhere that needs to be exorcised.

And … again.

Keith