Cubase 9.5 now Inserts pasted audio instead of overwriting?

Heh, this is a good one to look in the manual where it says “Parts and events are the basic building blocks in Cubase”. So I bet that’s cleared that one up. :slight_smile:

Luckily if you dig a bit deeper it does get there in the end…
As far as Audio Events are concerned, they are created when you record or Import a piece of Audio into Cubase. The Audio Event triggers the playback of the corresponding audio clip (but it isn’t the actual wave file).

Audio Parts are containers for Audio Events. There are various ways of making several Audio Events into a Part.

I think it comes as a left over from the days when MIDI was all that Cubase did (and we had to sync a tape deck for the Audio…ahhh, when I was young). Any MIDI input (like a note, or mod wheel movement) was a MIDI Event and they were grouped together into Parts.

It does all make sense really.

Actually, I can see where a topic such as the distinction between an Audio Event and Part can be somewhat confusing and maybe even a difficult concept to grasp at first; especially if you are somewhat new to Cubase. But as pianarchist already pointed out, the concept seemingly goes back to the days when MIDI was the primary focus with Cubase and not necessarily the recording of Audio.

But again, if you weren’t familiar with that point of time; then its understandable all the more that the distinction wouldn’t be clear. And to be fair, I’ve read posts where folks have clearly read the manual and still don’t totally get it. So its cool.

To put in plain terms and basically recapping what has already been said.

Think of as when you have an Audio track within Cubase. Irrelevant as to how you get Audio on that track, every section of Audio on 1 Audio Track is referred to as a part. So say your recorded or imported some music onto a track in cubase from beginning to end (no breaks or interruptions)

That Audio from beginning to end is referred to as 1 Audio Part. If you were to split the Audio into separate sections (so as to separate it) You would then have multiple Audio Parts. You split it once, you have 2 Audio Parts; split it into 4 sections, you have 4 Audio Parts on that 1 Audio Track and so on.

Now each of those Audio Parts has Audio Content in them referred to as Audio Events. You could say Audio Content equals Audio Events; if it helps you to understand the concept. So in short, the Audio Parts are virtual containers for the Audio Events.

You can move parts, reposition them, bounce them together to combine them and etc.

Audio Events as they’re referred to; are the visualizations you view inside an Audio Track as Audio Waves. So a Hit of a snare produces an Audio peak, that is an Audio Event and etc.

Hope that provides a bit more clarity for you. :wink:

Audio event - it is a source audio file - whatever you open in the editor… parts are just segments of the source files :slight_smile: those you see on tracks
If you change the event in the editor, it will affect the parts where that even is shared/used.

ANY NEWS ON PASTE-REPLACE ISSUE?
I have the same problem :frowning:

Steinberg Support says they’re aware of the issue and have submitted it to the Development team to be addressed. So guess its just a hurry up and wait game at this point. :laughing:

Seems the word I’ve been getting has been thats all they can do at this point. So the Dev team will either “Do the right thing” and fix it or dismiss it as important and hope it will just go away.

I’m going to give them the benefit of doubt and say they’ll address it soon in another update release.

MaestroMetro7
I have noticed the same problem.
Have you tried after you move the quote 'the shaded (selected) section to another location within the audio and paste. ’
do a delete (Ctrl X) then do the paste (Ctrl V). Provided you have not altered the size of the shaded section the postion of the remaining audio should be in the same place.
Not a perfect solution as it requires another step, but as a temporary work-a-round might help.

Hey Thanks MovingWaves! It may not be the most elegant solution but it’s most definitely a good work around that I’d never considered. Just tried that and it works great. I can contend with the extra step since it does allow me to continue working within the editor as I’ve been accustomed to.

Good stuff!!! :wink: Much appreciated

You have no idea!

I just got Nuendo 8… SAME THING! It does not want to INSERT-PASTE! It is really REALLY ANNOYING! I can’t believe this! Now I need to take an xtra step (press delete) to get the desired result…

STEINBERG, PLEAESE FIX THIS!

I have just upgraded to Cubase 9.5 Pro from Artist 9.5 and have just noticed the same thing, really annoying.

I can’t believe Cubase are taking so long to fix this???

For the moment I am having to use the workaround suggested by MorningWaves.

Hey,

I just wanted to provide an update on this issue. After seeing all previous efforts of reporting this to support seemingly did nothing, I finally opened a bug report in the Issues forum back in September 2018 and it was acknowledged as a legitimate issue… THANK GOD SOMEONE FINALLY LISTENED!!!

It has been filed as a Steinberg Product Issue under CAN-17742

So “Hopefully” upon the next release or update, you should be able to identify whether or not the issue has been addressed using that number.

Lets just keep our fingers crossed and it’s resolved. :wink:

Because it has really disrupted my workflow when needing to use the feature. I had really become dependent on it until it broke.

MaestroMetro7,

I wonder if this applies only to Cubase 9.5 or to all steinberg products…

The same problem is happening in Nuendo. I updated to 8.3 - same damn thing…

@balkyny,

I can’t provide an accurate answer to that question since I only use Cubase. But I can tell you that the issue wasn’t apparent in prior versions of Cubase and I know definitively that it wasn’t a bug in Cubase 9.0 either. So I only noted it introduced in Cubase 9.5.

Since this bug was only recently acknowledged and currently being addressed; I wouldn’t have expected any recent product update of any kind to have the fix yet.

Just my two cents on it though.

Well… 1 update already released in October 2018 and now Cubase 10 is out. Would love for someone to inform whether or not this issue is fixed in Cubase 10. I’m definitely not upgrading for $100 for a bunch of shiny new features without having addressed this more than a year old issue that was “introduced” in 9.5.

Let’s fix what was broken before asking for more $$$

Not going for the Dog and Pony show anymore

Instead of pasting into selection, now I have to first DELETE selected then make sure cursor is in the right spot, only then do I paste!
nightmare… really annoying. Nuendo8 or cubase 9.5 last update did not fix a thing.

Was informed it will be fixed with the next update