Cubase 9.5 now Inserts pasted audio instead of overwriting?

This may just be a setting that got changed after I upgraded to Cubase 9.5 but I’ve recently noted that the behavior of copying and pasting sections of audio within the audio editor now insert my audio from my clipboard instead of overwriting the selected area.

For example, if I open the audio editor window and drag my cursor to select lets say a 1/4 bar or audio phrase, copy that selected audio and then move the shaded (selected) section to another location within the audio and paste. Whereas before the upgrade, I would get the copied phrase pasted to fill the entire selection; Cubase now inserts the audio and moves all the remaining audio down causing the previously aligned audio to shift to the right.

If I’d simply placed my cursor to another position within the audio and pasted, then I’d expect the audio shift; essentially an insert. But not when I’ve moved a selected (section) to a different location. I’d want it to overwrite everything within the selected area.

How can I re-enable the feature because something has obviously changed. :frowning:

Let me re-phrase and elaborate a bit more on the original question a bit because I can’t just find it hard to believe this to be a difficult or unreasonable question.

“ONE” of the default behaviors in Cubase when editing copies of audio files is for a dialog prompt to come up stating something to the effect that all copies of the audio regardless of their location in the arrangement will be affected. So if I have a copy of an audio clip at every 2nd measure in the arrangement and edit just one of those clips; all copies will also be edited (By Default) unless you specify that you want ONLY the edited clip to be affected. In which case, you can select “New Version” from the dialog prompt.

Now, there is also a checkbox in that dialog prompt that allows you to opt out of receiving any subsequent prompts when editing your audio. But if you do that (from my understanding); you are telling Cubase that whenever you edit an audio clip with multiple copies; all the copies of that clip will be edited as well without any additional prompt.

Simillarly, I believe there HAS to be a setting somewhere maybe in Preferences that specify when working in the Audio editor; that when you copy a “SECTION” of audio and with the cursor, move that “SECTION” of audio to a different position within the audio clip and paste it; that Cubase should “REPLACE” the affected “SECTION” of audio with what has been copied INSTEAD of “INSERTING” the audio and shifting everything to the right.

No one here has seen this happen???

I believe the upgrade may have changed some of the settings I originally had because that was the previous behavior before the upgrade but ideally I prefer not to set my preferences to default because then I’d have to go back and recreate my preference template.

Surely someone knows where the setting is because I cannot find it.

But albeit, if there’s isn’t anyone here that understands the question; I’ll simply contact support. But I felt the forum would be the best place to check first.

I don’t believe there is any setting, try starting in safe mode to confirm if a preferences reset would fix it.

Hmm… this behaviour does indeed seem to have changed. Like Grim I don’t think there was ever a Preference or Dialog though.

Shall have to check more.

I’m still running Cubase 9 in parallel on my system so I’ve recorded the behavior in both versions of Cubase and have opened a support ticket.

I also saved a backup of my global preferences file and performed a full default reset in Cubase 9.5 but it doesn’t appear to have done anything regarding this particular behavior. So I guess that does suggest that it isn’t a Preference setting.

I’ll post back what support provides once they respond.

Thanks

Yeah…Maybe a 9.5 bug. I’m not updated so can’t confirm.

Yes, I can confirm it’s different from 9 on my Windows 7 system at least. I can’t think that this will be one of the weird ones that’s different between Windows 7 and 10 but shall check Windows 10 too, if you haven’t already.

Look forward to hear the Support response.

It does rather look like it…though I’m a bit surprised no-one’s spotted it before (in fact I thought I was doing just some such editing the other day on my other system…)

This bug (if it is a bug) is seriously annoying. I’m having to revert to Cubase 9.0.

Was this ever solved as I have exactly the same problem and it’s driving me crazy…?
I can’t even revert to Cubase 9, as all downloads point to 9.5 now…?

I opened a ticket with support and they asked for videos of the issue. So I provided them with videos instead of how the function worked in v9 and how it works now.

Haven’t received any word back from them yet but I’ll post their response when I hear from them. Its been a considerable time since I provided them with the evidence and I’d usually would have heard back from them now; so I “think” it would be reasonable to say its likely a bug and if thats whats determined; I’m pretty sure they’ll address the problem with another update.

It’s a bit annoying to me as well because I was switching to Cubase 9 to perform these types of edits and then opening my projects up in Cubase 9.5 to take advantage of the new features also. Now I just try to avoid using the affected features within the editor and find other ways to get the results I need because I got tired of jumping between 2 versions.

But doing a parallel installation of Cubase 9 will provide a temporary work around. You’ll just be switching between both versions until they release a fix. Still somewhat of a pain but its an option. :slight_smile:

[UPDATED STATUS]

I just wanted to post an update for this issue to others whom have noted this issue. After reaching out to support a couple of days ago for a ticket that has been opened for 3 months; I was informed that this was reported as a bug after affirmation that it is indeed a bug (Approximately 3 months ago to date). :cry:

I was then informed that Steinberg Development was informed well before the most current update (9.5.20) was recently released but for some reason it seems that they don’t think or feel this is enough of an issue to consider being a priority on their list to address.

Which begs the question, how can ANY company release an update that potentially (BREAKS) prior functionality and features; and subsequently feel that the break due to their update isn’t relevant enough to address as a priority???

Just my take on it; but logically it makes absolutely no sense and kind of exemplifies a lack of concern for loyal users of the product (whether that is intentional or not). Of whom if they didn’t have would obviously stifle their ability to sustain revenue.

I certainly hope they release a hot fix or update to address this soon cause I’d hate to think they’re that arrogant :imp:

I don’t actually seem able to reproduce this issue anymore. Can you go through your exact steps, thanks.

Sure,

Select an Audio track and double-click the track to open the Audio Editor
Using your cursor, select a range of audio (the selected range should be highlighted and you’ll see a transparent overly over the selected section of audio)
With the section selected, from the edit menu select → Copy
Now, the issue

With the section of Audio still selected, hover over the selected area and the cursor becomes a hand
Click the hand and keep the mouse button held down and move the entire selected section to another location
Then from the Edit menu select → Paste

When you paste the content, what “should” happen is the entire selected section should paste the audio content perfectly within that same section; overwriting any audio content that is contained within that selected area

What instead happens is that the pasted audio actually shifts all the existing audio content to the right which throws the track out of sync.

The previous behavior was to overwrite the existing audio within the selected section with the content which was in the buffer. (the copied content)
Not affecting any audio outside of that region. Which was the expected and correct behavior; still functional in Cubase 9.0

This flaw was introduced in Cubase 9.5

Thanks, yes, I did go and find it…still there for me in 9.5.

Not a major issue for me as I tend to edit in the Audio Part editor rather than the Sample Editor.

Nevertheless, I’m surprised more people haven’t come in mentioning this issue actually.

Could you please share the steps you take to edit your audio (Audio Part Editor)?

I’d be interested in that alternative if you don’t have the issue editing the audio using your technique, maybe that could be a work around for me as well until the problem has been addressed.

As a workaround, instead of pasting the selection into the sample editor, you can paste it on top of the audio event in the Project Window by using the project cursor or the range selection tool. This is pretty easy to do with the lower zone, and you can use the lower zone cursor to precisely define where you want to paste the audio. There are many advantages to this approach, such as being able to apply crossfades easily and time stretching the pasted audio flexibly.

Pasting directly into the sample editor is a relatively obscure feature and there are alternative workflows and workarounds that offer advantages. I don’t think that they’re being completely unreasonable by assigning this a low priority compared to other issues.

Thanks for the suggestion Romantique. I can certainly give that a try and see how it works for me.

I’m not entirely in agreement that pasting directly in the Audio editor (which it was initially and originally referred to before termed a “Sample Editor”) as being relatively obscure as a feature though. It was obviously a feature that had intent purpose for being there from the beginning so it couldn’t have been seen from the developers perspective as being an obscure task while working within the Editor.

On the contrary, I think the Audio Editor would logically be the most intuitive place to perform that type of task; especially if you’re already in there using all the other features it provides such as time stretching and etc. It is also more intuitive in that you can actually see the audio wave isolated from the other project track views and workflows to concentrate and work solely on it there.

I understand also why you would think that they’re not being completely unreasonable by considering it a low priority in comparison to other issues; so your point is well received but debatable.

This was something that was previously working just fine but broken by virtue of their own update. So being a Software Engineer, I know that introducing “flawed code” should typically rank higher on the scale in terms of correcting in lieu of other issues. You simply don’t break stuff, give it to the customers and then rank fixing your flaw as a low priority. Even if there are other alternative work arounds. Its not a professional approach to Software development.

I’m not suggesting that things like this cannot potentially happen even with the best team of Developers; but before rushing to fix new identified issues, one should ensure stability of what was previously released.

No worries. They key (after looking into it) is to having something that Cubase defines as a Part rather than an Event. If it’s an Event, it appears Cubase will only let you use the “Sample Editor” whereas if it’s a Part it will only let you use the “Audio Part Editor”. As a result of the way I work (I think) I tend to end up with Parts anyway so that’s why the problem has been less of an issue to me.

As far as I can see the only way you change an Event into a Part is by adding two events (or more) together using the glue tool. Once you’ve done that if you double click it will open the Audio Part Editor. You can even cut the bit you added on back off to give you a part the same size as your original Wave and still you’ll only be able to open the Audio part Editor.

From there on I think the editing will be pretty much the same as you’re used (only easier I think as you get the scissors tool). If not clear let me know.

Okay I got it. Between the responses of both you and Romantique, I believe I can figure my way around it.
Thanks! :slight_smile:

The differences between parts and events isn’t something that is crystal clear, to me ( as a newbie) anyway. Anyone care to elaborate?