Cubase 9.5 pro won't open the project

I’m running Cubase 9.5 pro, the last build, on Windows 8.1. The project started on Cubase 7.0 and later was transfered to Cubase 9.5. Several days ago I worked on this project just fine. Today I tried to open it and it won’t open - it throws out and error “Invalid project file”. I tried to open it in Cubase 7, and it won’t open it as well, but it says that it can’t open the file because it was created in Cubase 9.5.

I tried opening all backup files that I have and NONE of them opens in Cubase 9.5. What the hell is going on? Am I going to loose several days of work??? I hope there is some way to “repair” the project (which shouldn’t be corrupt in the first place!).

Hi and welcome,

Might happen some plug-in is not fully compatible with Cubase. Make sure your all plug-ins are up to date. You can also try to remove all plug-ins from your folder (or just rename the folder), and try to start the project without plug-ins.

Tried to run with no plug-ins. No luck. The same result.

Can you see any progress bar while opening? When does it stop? Does Cubase show any message (in C9.5)?

It starts to read the file and I sort of can see the progress bar. But it disappears almost immediately and the window with “invalid file” error appears.

Are you willing to share the project?

Here you go:

I’m now leaning to the possibility of the corruptions of files on the hard drive. I’ve got some audio files that were corrupted in that same session for no apparent reason. Looks like that particular hard drive is not very trustworthy. Haven’t had anything like that before though. Thankfully I had backups.

Unfortunately I cannot open it neither here.

I think it’s the HDD. I’ve been working on the project for quite some time and everything seems fine. It’s curious that I have a lot of the same HDDs and this is the only one that behaves this way. Sounds like dumpster time for that poor piece of gear.

P. S. Love the Cubase 9.5 pro!!! But one bug is annoying. It’s actually there since version 8. When I create a macro with plugin processing inside it (for example, Waves Q8), this plugin processing step disappears after I relaunch the program. I have to reload my key commands set to restore this step.