Cubase 9 Crashes on Exit

The Cubase ‘crashing on quit’ problem was driving me nuts. Everything I read in these forums and elsewhere said that you need to find the offending plugin(s) and go through the process of finding and removing it to fix the problem. Well, I wanted to be able to use any and all of the plugins I have and not have to take the time to eliminate each plugin to find the offending one, or or doing the quicker version of eliminating half of them to see what half the offending plugin is in, etc. etc.

So…

This is a fix for the problem of Cubase crashing/freezing on quit. This solution will allow you to keep using whatever plugin(s) you want even if they were the one(s) causing the problem.

First create a Cubase project that has one audio track with any old audio file imported and no plugins. Save it so that you can open it every time you start Cubase. Let’s call it the ‘dummy project’. Now follow these steps in this order every time you use Cubase.

1. Launch Cubase

2. Open the dummy project and keep it open

3. Open the project that makes Cubase crash on quit. (or any project)

4. Activate it

5. Work on it as long as you wish

6. When you want to quit Cubase, go to the window menu and choose your dummy project

7. Activate that dummy project (This will deactivate the project you were working on)

8. Close the problem project.

9. Close the “dummy” project

10. You may now safely quit Cubase

So, in essence, the one thing you never want to do is close the problem project while it is the active project. It may seem like a lot to do but it’s really only a matter of 5-10 seconds extra to resolve the ‘Cubase crash on quit problem’. I have a project that would crash Cubase 100% of the time when I quit. Using the method above I have now worked on that project for a over week (at least 7 times) with no crash problems at all.

There may be other ways of doing this or some of these steps might be able to be eliminated. But this has worked for me every time so far so I feel “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

I am using Cubase 9.5.41 on Windows Home 10.

Let me know if this works for you or if you have any questions. Also let me know if you’ve found other ways to fix the problem or have eliminated any of the steps above and still had success.

Macster