Cubase 9 - Mac Pro Help - One or two sockets?

Hi All,

Currently have Cubase 8.5 running on my 2012 model mac book pro on OSx 10.8.5 which has been my work horse and done me proud give or take with very minimal problems (a few crashes here or there but nothing worth moaning about) however I want to move to cubase 9 and move to a more powerful mac pro platform however I don’t have the money to go trash can… I want a 5.1 Mac pro. however I need advise on how Cubase handles threads to separate physical processors. so If I was to get a 12 core machine (which is essentially 2 processor machine - 6 cores per processor) would this speed keep me right or would this essentially slow me down? just wondered if any one on the forums is doing the same and what results would I get?

From some info I have found, have two separate CPU’s can sometimes make programs sluggish when performing some types of tasks…

Any help would you could give me would be grand

It seems the multiple CPU’s/cores don’t seem to be used optimal…

That’s why I hold off on buying a newer system, I now use a 2006 first gen Mac Pro.

I was about to post the same link… Save your money don’t waste it thinking you’ll get double the speed and performance. It won’t happen with Cubase…

Henry1970- I see you have C9 installed on your older MacPro. I have a similar situation with my 2008 and am wondering what version of OS X you’re using with C9 and what your experience has been.

Currently, my system is rock solid with Yosemite and 8.5.20 and I’m wondering what the ramifications of upgrading will be.

Thanks in advance for any info

It’s really frustrating reading those posts especially for those who have falked out thousands already on new machines.

just been reading this: http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/ste … t_daw.html and it does seem still to be a bit old school and does not really take advantage of technologies and architecture running on the newer chips even from the last few years!

At least potentially I save myself around 900 smackers not going to a dual socket machine.

Also now is the time I need to start upgrading to at least El Cap and make the leap from 10.8.5

I’m running El Capitan. That’s the last Mac OS that will run on it, most likely. But I think I still got 2 to 3 years with this machine. :smiley:
I haven’t run into any problems with Cubase 9 so far. :wink:

It seems to utilize my 6 cores evenly.

I’m surprised that anyone is still running 2006 hardware here, I’m pretty sure more modern hardware would work better. As for iMac “trash cans”, aren’t they lagging behind horribly and not have gotten a refresh in ages? Not worth your money imo.

[/quote]
I’m running El Capitan. That’s the last Mac OS that will run on it, most likely. But I think I still got 2 to 3 years with this machine. :smiley:
I haven’t run into any problems with Cubase 9 so far. :wink:[/quote]

Ok, great- thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

I think it depends on what you do with the hardware, I mostly run audio tracks, with 1 or maybe 2 instances of EZ Drummer or Superior Drummer. SSL channel strip on every channel, an amp sim or 2 and maybe 2 FX channels max + maybe a plugin synth.
Yes, the trash can Mac Pro is now 3 year old hardware, but apple just keeps raising the prices… :open_mouth:
If I would want to buy a newer machine today, Id get a refurbished 2012 “old” and better upgradable Mac Pro for half the price of a base model 2013. :wink: