Cubase A - Z Tutorials

So,
you are not using sound font files. Are they wav files, probably, and where do you store them so CB can access them?
Sorry, but a bit intimidating.

No mate i stopped using them years ago as i feel that they’re not really the greatest thing around any more.
They are just wav files, i sampled the equipment one sound at a time in cubase to create one long file and then chopped it all up into individual bits and saved them all as individual files. It can take a while but i’ve been doing it for quite a few years now so have built up quite a collection.
I think wav files are easier to work with than sf files as they will work with just about ANY sampler or sample player going… things have moved on a long way since the days of soundfonts.
Wav files are the same thing that most people use to record their audio in cubase… the very same thing!
It’s really not all that scary mate… honest! :smiley:
I have five hard drives on my system, c:/ is my system drive, d:/ is my backup image drive in case windows goes kaput! e:/ is the drive i keep all my sample libraries on for things like BFD2, HALion symphonic and all my wav drum samples. h:/ is my audio drive for my cubase projects and i:/ is 500Gb of pr0n :wink: lol no that’s my music/videos/scratch drive etc.

As you can see from the videos i then set the media bay to scan certain folders within my e:/ drive so the samples are available in media bay. i carefully select which folders i have included in media bay though as i don’t want it to pick up all my BFD2 library or HALion symphonic content as these are available through their own apps.

hope that explains it a little for you… hang in there and it will all make sense eventually… we all gotta start somewhere! :wink:

Thanks…working with a SF player now and will see if I can convert to wav. Still wondering how they get loaded into CB as a drum map.

They don’t get loaded in as a map… all a map is is a set of instructions that matches the pads of say groove agent one or any other drum module to match the midi note numbers in the cubase drum editor and for the naming scheme in beat designer… you have to load the sounds into your drum module.
it might be worth you watching my drum maps video one or two more times… these things can be a little tricky to get your head around at first as very often we assume they’re more complicated than they are… i struggled with DOS for a while because i was looking for something complicated… it’ll sink in mate!

Some of these may get you started and they’re free to download… http://www.downloadablesoundz.com/freesoundz.php?menu=freesoundz
scroll down to the ‘wav construction kit’.

Hi - just had a look over at your site for that tutorial… I appreciate your efforts though sorry, I couldn’t complete viewing the whole thing. You really must resist editing ALL the breathing space out of the audio voice-over persons dialogue. For me, its extremely disconcerting and unsettling even, trying to listen to someone who never breathes in…!! Its relentless, and as such very weird to me. Butting all the sentences up together so close makes it horrible and un-natural.

No problem with the content that I did hear, and by all means any clicks, pops and stumbles/fluffs, umm’s and ahh’s etc all can (and should) be dealt with - but please next time, leave some AIR in there too, somewhere/sometimes… :slight_smile:

(For example, have a quick look over at DannyJWilson’s vid tutorial work - see/hear how he takes you with him, on a journey of discovery (and joy…!) He comes across with a light and engaging attitude, yet all the time very pro - its his personality in dealing with the topic, that’s allowed to shine…).

Regards,
Bob

Thanks for the reply - just trying to keep the file size down!

That’s my problem, really. I have Cubase Essential and I guess Groove Agent isn’t essential 'cause I don’t have it. I feel like I may be imposing on you now when I ask if you know of another program/software whatever that works like Groove Agent? I’ve Googled forever and came up with stuff like Addictive which may or may not work, and I can’t be sure until I pay for it. The demo is very limited.

Have you tried GURU ?

I notice FXPansion have released the successor to GURU. Maybe that’s worth a look.

Yep Guru isn’t a bad product, a good mate of mine uses it regularly… also BFD eco may be worth a look for you too.

I’ll be doing a few videos on BFD2/Cubase in the near(ish) future too, had a word with Rob over at FXpansion about a few things so hopefully they should be VERY in-depth.