Cubase AI 6 performance not as good as Cubase 4

Hi

I have a multiboot PC - running XP PRO 32bit with Cubase 4 and also Windows 7 64bit now with Cubase AI 6. I’ve been planning to build a new system and upgrade from AI 6 to Cubase 6 on Windows 7 64bit. However when I load AI6 I get two issues:

1. It take AGES to load - it usually gets stuck on ‘initialising video player’ and it can take 5 or 10 MINUTES to load the program. Which is crazy! Cubase 4 under XP loads in about 3 seconds on the same hardware.

2. When it is finally up and running the ASIO performance (I use M-Audio Delta interfaces and their ASIO drivers) is way higher up the warning scale than it is on the same hardware for Cubase 4 under Win XP 32bit.

The hardware is Asrock P45 Turbo Twins MB, Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3gHz CPU, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 320GB system HDD, 3TB of additional HDDs for sample libraries, files, etc. It’s not top spec now (which is why I am considering a new build) but it’s a serviceable machine and multitasks Photoshop and various other resource hungry programs without issue, and as I say runs Cubase4 under XP Pro fast and efficiently even with dozens of tracks and lots of plugins and instruments running.

Given the performance of Cubase AI6 under Windows 7 - being able to run maybe a couple of instruments before hitting the red, I am seriously wondering if it’s worth the money for the upgrade.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Try trashing AI6 Prefs.

Hello,

Why don’t you upgrade from Cubase 4 --> Cubase 6 ?

Cheers,

Chris

(www.imsta.org)