Cubase AI 8 & WaveLab Cast OEM

Hi,

You need the license. You should get it either by using the Grace Period, or you should get an email with the new code from Steinberg. If you didn’t get one, get in touch with your local Steinberg support, please. The license in the Soft-eLicenser is Cubase 11 only.

Last while I was googling a lot of articles and youtube videos regarding DAW.
Now I’ve 3 products that I think are all almost do the something, or at least for me, I think so.
Cubase AI, Cubase LE, and WaveLab Cast.
I see almost the same features in all of them and I did goggled for each one vs others but can not figure it out completely.

1. Is it possible to explain it for me given that I am only into solo vocals for podcasting or screencasting video tutorials and sometimes voice-over and no music at all.
  2. Also, do I need to upgrade to any professional versions of other Cubase products?
  3. The last thing, do I need to get other plugins like izotope?
    Thanks

Hi,

Cubase LE and Cubase AI are almost the same.

Cubase is for composing, recording, whiting and mixing. WaveLab is for recording, whiting and mastering.

1 Like

Adding to Martin’s helpful answer, Cubase AI and LE are OEM-only products - you can only get a licence along with a hardware product. The lowest edition of Cubase you can buy is Cubase Elements. WaveLab Cast is available as OEM, but can be bought retail.

The cheaper of the two products is WaveLab Cast - you can get a 30 day trial here (click).

The only Cubase trial available is for Cubase Pro - Steinberg want people to fall in love with features in a higher edition than they were thinking of purchasing. You can get a 30 day trial here (click).

If all you are interested in is podcast audio and simple dialogue audio addition to video, WaveLab Cast might be all you need. It is inexpensive and is currently on sale. I’d try that one first.

I would try to steer away from plugins from the likes of iZotope. The most powerful version of iZotope RX is very expensive. You should concentrate on getting the cleanest possible audio into your computer - a good microphone and simple sound treatment (which might be as simple as hanging a few blankets) will go a long way. The next step is learning good workflow - levelling, equalisation and compression. Only resort to restoration plugins like iZotope RX or Acoustica when you cannot capture audio of acceptable quality.

If you are a newcomer to the world of dialogue audio (or even if you are not), I recommend Curtis Judd’s YouTube channel. Some of Curtis’s content is about lighting or higher-end location sound work, but the majority is about affordable to moderately expensive dialogue audio. He runs weekly livestreams on his second channel, most of which have an open Q&A time.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your helpful answers, my friends.

1. composing.
  2. mastering.
  3. mixing.
  4. recording.
  5. whiting.
    If I may ask which steps I will need in podcast audio or voice-over and simple dialogue audio addition to video?

I already have both WaveLab Cast OEM and Cubase AI as both came bundled with Yamaha AG06. So, you mean I do not need any extra software for my purpose, which is podcast and voice-over and audio for video screen casting tutorials using OBS and Davinci Resolve Studio? did I get your point correctly?
Or do you mean WaveLab Cast is different from the WaveLab Cast OEM ? or both are the same?

On the previous black Friday I’ve got the Izotope Elements for a huge discount and to be honest I get it as I thought it will be useful but I was and still not fully aware with what I can exactly do with it.
I did added blankets to my place around me and above me.
I have got the following hardware:
Shure SM7B
EV RE 20
Yamaha AG06
DBX 286s, 166xs, and 131s
FetHead

Yes, this guy is very helpful and useful and I watched a lot of his videos.

Really too much appreciated your valuable time helping me and looking forward to reading your thoughts.