Cubase always crashes when closing

Hey there, my Cubase 11 always crashes when I close it. In the task manager it says as soon as I press “close” that cubase is not responding. There also seems to be an empty window that’s transparent to the desktop that always opens when starting cubase and this is what remains open as soon as I close a project. It’s already opened before I open a project as a seperate window.

I cannot add new VST plugins from my folders because I cannot save the location in cubase and restart it because cubase wont save that location when it crashes. Keybind changes are saved though.

I’m on windows 10 64.

Thx for any help.

Do you have the Crash Dump file?
Does it crash even if you don’t load a file? (Just open Cubase, then close it again.)

Thx for your reply.

It doesn’t crash if I dont open a project, but it still shows a second transparent window that doesn’t contain anything.

I would reinstall cubase and just leave the projects folder but I don’t wanna lose all the keybind changes and templates that I made can I save them in a seperate folder? Also how do I uninstall steinberg software that my system manager doesn’t show but that’s installed, I have the same issue with other software too it’s just not showing up in the uninstall menu of windows even though it’s installed.

thx

Hi,

Share the *.dmp file, you have, please. Does it really crash or is it not responding?

This is the menu bar.

All these are stored in the preferences folder, which is not deleted by uninstalling Cubase.

The system should show it. Did you install it to the system C drive (I expect, you are on Windows)?

Isn’t your system infected by any virus?

Sorry I didn’t find a tutorial on this one. In which folder is it?

I will add a picture to show you, because I don’t think it is.

Well I wanted to install it on my second PCL-SSD to increase performance but it only made a folder with the install files and installed it on my C drive in the normal program’s folder. But the download manager doesn’t show it as installed so it’s weird. Windows sees cubase but doens’t see halion Sonic as installed which I wanted to uninstall anyways cos I’m not using it.

Very unlikely I run a good anti virus software and didn’t ever install any cracked VST stuff.

Hi,

Mac: macOS Console utility > User Reports folder or Crash Reports in macOS 10.15 (or ~user/Library/Logs/Diagnostic Reports).
Win: Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

Doesn’t Windows show the windows like this as a preview?

thx for answering

Yes and the right one, the hub closes when you open a project and then when you close the project the left one remains open which is just this transperent thing. If you go in full screen it’s just an empty transparent window and it’s what doesn’t close and it will say cubase isn’t responding and then I have to close with the task manager.

There isn’t such a folder and all folders in “Documents/Steinberg” are empty.

Thx for any help

P.S: I also had studio one crash sometimes with very large projects when closing. It would need like 10 minutes to close the project and when you pressed the wrong button it was crashing while doing so.

Hi,

This is the menu bar.

That means, Cubase doesn’t crash. Just close the menu bar.

Thx for your reply

Can I deactivate it or something because it doesn’t close while the project closes. It shows up as Cubase 11 exe in the task manager. What is it for anyways?

Thx

Hi,

What happens, if you click the x button on the right side? Or if you select File > Quit?

Thx for your reply

If I have not opened a project and only were in the hub yet it closes as it should.

If I did have a project open and close it, it just doesn’t respond.

Thx

Hi,

If you open a project, you have to:

• Close project
  • Quit Cubase

2 steps are necessary. Do you do so, please?

Well I press x at the top right when closing the project and then the remaining window I close via the task bar icon because it’s transparent.

So in Studio One if you press x at the top right studio one ends, but if you end the project you get back to the project hub. If this is what it’s supposed to be like than something is wrong because that’s not what happens it’s like it freezes when I close it and the “transparent window” remains open until force-closed with the task manager.

Thx for your help

Hi,

There is no transparent window. There is the menu bar. Click the x button at the menu bar, this will quit Cubase.

Btw, of you close the project and the menu bar remains, you can open the Hub from the menu, of you want to.

Yea the problem isn’t the menu bar. It’s if I press it while I have the rotating sign that cubase is operating that it freezes and doesn’t respond. This is a LARGE project related thing.

Anyway now that I know I can open the hub from the menu bar I don’t need to close it to open a new project anymore. So while not the solution I wanted, it’s good to know. thx again

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

1 Like