Cubase and Ace Studio

Hello,
First of all; I am a brand new user on this forum, I even registered before I have purchased and gotten to use Cubase. The reason I am here is that I am a former Logic user, but as I am about to change from Mac to PC I also need to change DAW - and my choice has landed on Cubase. It seems like a great software to me that I hopefully can learn how to use.

My first post and question here is about Cubase and an external plugin/program called “ACE Studio”. For those who don´t know about it it´s a program that can create AI vocals out of either voice or MIDI recordings. As I am not a singer myself I think it sounds exciting enough that I would like to test it and see if it works for my use. For the record, I have only read about it and watched videos of it and have no experience with it at all. And that is what my question also is about: has anyone here used ACE studio with Cubase and can tell me how it works and what´s the best way to do it? I want to create a kind of a “working formula” for myself between these two programs and I am thinking something like this:

1. Start in Cubase and create drums and then record the vocal melody of the song with a MIDI instrument
  2. Send this from Cubase to ACE Studio with the “ACE Bridge” which is supposed to be found somewhere in Cubase
  3. In ACE, transform the recorded MIDI instrument to vocals
  4. Send the vocal track back to Cubase and continue working on it from there. Then I am curious about using the Chord Track to somehow find chords under the ACE vocals

Does anyone have any experience with this so far, and if not - do you think it could work?

Thanks for replying.

So I think this is the case that ACE should tell you more about the workflow (working formula in your words?).

As for these, Cubase supports ‘drag (out of Cubase) and drop as a MIDI file’ function. If you drag the midi part you recorded out of Cubase, it will become immediately a MIDI file ‘under your mouse cursor’, so you will theoretically be able to drop it into any where that accepts a midi file. It goes like this:
cubasemididrag4

If ACE Studio supports drag and drop MIDI file import, then you can go definitely this way. Otherwise you can just try dragging it into a folder in Finder / Explorer and then use import function manually.

As for more info about ACE bridge I… just don’t know much about it 'coz I did’t make it to the day it officially released. But the manual reads:

So I guess it’s similar to the way that Crypton’s Piapro Studio VSTi/AU functions: A vocal editor process is created outside your DAW, and the plugin links it to your daw (transport will be linked and the audio routed to your DAW as VSTi outputs), and all your works inside ACE Studio editor saves with your DAW project.

Welcome fellow non-singer to Cubase. Only last week I purchased a Vocal AI for this exact purpose. The two criteria for my purchase, which this AI has, is one, no subscription (they have a ‘credit’ system where you buy credits as you need them; and second it comes as a ‘plugin’ for your DAW. This second one is your issue. I would ask your AI people if this comes as a plugin, so you can use it inside Cubase; that would be my first suggestion. If not, you’ll have to be exporting mixdowns to this program and then importing the vocals into Cubase. If you are syncing them together, you would have to make sure that the sample rates match.

Which Vocal AI program did you purchase?

Hello,
Sorry for late reply, I have been unable to answer until now.

Thank you very much for your great explanation. Now I have a way to try it out and hope it works for me when I get my new computer and Cubase/ACE Studio installed. It will be very exciting to see if I figure it out. I discovered some more info on the ACE site that I can post about importing MIDI clips and importing audio clips with supported formats:

→ 3.4.1 Importing MIDI clips

Importing/Dragging from files: Place the marker-line in the location where you want to place the clip on the track, then select “Import” from the “File” menu to import a prepared MIDI or UFDATA file, or directly drag and drop a MIDI or UFDATA format file into the track. Release the mouse button to place the MIDI clip at the marker-line position. MIDI files can carry tempo and lyrics information, while UFDATA files can carry tempo, lyrics, and phoneme information. You can import a multi-track file or multiple files at the same time. However, note that you can not place MIDI clips on an audio track or import corrupted MIDI/UFDATA files.

→ 3.4.3 Importing Audio Clips

Importing/Dragging from File: Place the marker-line in the position where you want to place the clip on the track, and select “Import” from the “File” menu to import the audio file or directly drag the audio file into the track. Release the mouse button to place the audio at the marker-line position. Supported audio formats include *.mp3 / *.m4a / *.wav / *.flac / *.ogg / *.aac / *.ape. However, please note that you can not place audio clips on the singer track, and you can not import damaged or files in other formats.

Hi Albert,
Sorry for a late reply here. And thank you very much for replying, I appreciate it. Also, thank your for the welcome :slight_smile:

If I understand you correctly you don´t have ACE Studio but purchased another AI vocal software? In that case, which one did you get and how does it work for you - is it any good?

Like you probably saw I wrote, I have not tried any such softwares myself yet and I am very curious if it works for me at all. I know there are several AI Vocals programs out there but the reason I am thinking and focusing mostly on ACE is that from what I have read it supposed to be a very good program that works very well. But i have registered that it has received some criticism for the subscription and paying methods. AND it`s Chinese so I am not sure if people think we should avoid it for that reason also - but I´d like to think it´s OK. So I don´t know but I must admit I am very curious about them

Hello,

I use EmvoiceOne, with all of the voices and I am very pleased with how it works

It is well worth the money, and might I say, it has influenced my song composition a great deal just by my listening to what is produced with the plug-in, since it really does help with things like working out intervals and modes because after all, they are samples of real human voices.

I would love to know what else is out there because more voices would allow for greater expression, or at least my songs would be more ready for real people and musicians, which I believe is the idea of AI in the first place.

Cheers

Hey Albert, now I know why you don’t call me for backup vocals anymore lol.

Sounds like Ian…lol. Good to hear from you.

1 Like

I purchased an AI program called Vois; I only just got it and haven’t applied it to any project except as a test and it was very impressive. What I did was take a female vocal, dropped it down a perfect fifth and changed it to a male voice. The result was very impressive (almost as good as ilkker); I might turn this song into a duet when I have the time to re-work the arrangement. But as I mentioned, I only tried it because of its option of buy or subscribe. Time will tell.

1 Like

Using Synth V from Dreamtonics. It provides a male/female slider which works fairly well to get a male tenor from the female voice I purchased (Solaria) . Documentation is a bit sketchy but there is a lot of info online. So far it is very stable with Cubase. It is purchased outright so no subscription. Each voice is ~60 USD.