cubase and gpu nvidia tesla

hi, i have some question. is cubase compatible with cuda nvidia tesla gpu technolgy? floating point operations from cubase can be do from a tesla gpu?.

thanks!

:unamused:

Cubase doesn’t support CUDA for any offloading of plugins on the CPU.

The only audio software I’m aware of that does this is Nebula.

See the GPU (CUDA CORES) FOR DSP processing? thread.

Basically, audio requires chains of complex processing per channel, for which general-purpose CPUs are better suited, than massively parallel simpler operations, which suit video pixel-manipulation better. The exception is reverb, which is akin to video ray-tracing.

cubase compatible ?

I only had trouble when i bought the
nvidia geforce 760 gtx pcie card.
the cuda core makes click and pops,
distortions with my Impact twin firewire
soundcard!.

Believe , i tried every thing to solve,
fix the click / pop sound problems,
nothing helps.

Lot of people have the same problems
with geforce card, making noise from
cuda cores!.

I’m quite sure CUDA cores have nothing to do with Cubase, compatibility issues, nor the clicks and pops you’re getting. They’re not even running while Cubase is running (unless you’re somehow using Nebula on the same machine and have it configured to use them).

I also have an Nvidia GTX 760 (EVGA Brand). I’m using slightly older drivers to circumvent an issue with Waves plugins that existed a few months back (not sure if it’s been fixed yet).

I have a firewire-based audio interface, as well (Focurite Saffire Pro 40).

No clicks and pops here.

I would try four things for those clicks and pops:

1. Try setting the firewire latency to the highest setting in your firewire driver (not the audio interface driver) – if it has such a setting (the Focusrites do). If that doesn’t work, set it back to where it was.

2. Try turning ASIO Guard on. If you’re on v8 (ASIO Guard 2) try it with (counter-intuitively) a lower buffer setting. Either 512 or even 256. If those were your settings, try with ASIO Guard off, and then set the audio interface buffer settings to the highest (1024, or even 2048 if it has it).

3. Try using the firewire interface in Windows standard firewire driver mode (I forget what it’s technically called). Basically, it doesn’t use the OEM drivers, but uses older, standard Windows drivers. It forces the firewire card to operate at a slower and more optimized for audio speed of 400 (not 800).

I had to do #3 myself, but I was getting way more than clicks and pops, it was constant zipper noise with any sound, app or DAW.

1. Try reverting to early-mid 2014 drivers (they’re available in “archives” on Nvidia’s site). I think around “march” was the version that didn’t have the Waves plugin issues. I realize that’s different than your clicks and pops, but it’s worth a try if all else fails.

Try latest video drivers, too, if all else fails (but keep an eye on Waves plugins, if you have them, to make sure they work).

Good luck!

Dear Jalcide, thank you for you responds.
Actually, i tried all of of the things you said, even
took out my graphicscard and used the onboard intel hd3000
graphicscard, now it seem to fix the problems.
Another tip is to change the desktop themes to
basic , disabling the aero themes, which i
believe somehow the cudacore is helping
updating the aero graphics display etc.
Atleast i know, that disabling the aero
help removeing the clik and pops.
I tried with another computer with and old
geforce card with cubase, same soundcard,
no clik and pops.
i have benn so frustrating about this problem,
that i was thinking about taking out the
geforce gtx 760 card perment, but i use
this graphicscard for blender etc…
Maybe i so arogant claiming that cudacore
is causing this problem, i try not to sound arogant,
all i want is, to fix this problems.
On nvidia forum, i read about users having same problems,
some user said it could be the cudacore causing the clik and pops.
I have been searching the internet, there i did found other
people saying the same thing, about cudacore causing
noise etc.
I have giving up on this issues, the
only thing i can do is, to disable the
aero themes!.
I am certainly not going to take out graphicscard,
motherboard, reformat the hdd.
I have been investing lot of money on
this pc and did invest a lot of money buying
East West product, including omnisphere,
halion, toontrack product etc.

Sorry about bad spelling, i am writting on
an iphone.

If its not the cudacore, i dont know
what else it could be, anyway here
is some pc spec:

selfbuild pc:

core i7, quadcore , 3.6ghz.

Asus motherboard (cant remember the
model!).

24 gb ddr3 1333 ghz.

2.5 tb sata2 hdd, 7200 rpm

256gb ssd

nvidia gtx 760 2gb ram pcie.

bluray dvd burner.

psu: corsair 650w.

tc electronic impact twin firewire 400
soundcard.

pcie firewirecard. (could this firewire
card causing the click and pops ?).

windows 7 proffesionel 64bit.

cubsase element 7, 64bit.

Yes, the firewire card can absolutely be the culprit. It has been for me more than once.

I’ve always gone with firewire-based audio interfaces to ensure Mac/PC interoperability, though newer interfaces don’t have this issue as much.

You might check to see if your firewire card uses a “TI” chipset (Texas Instruments) or VIA chipset. Either one of these is preferred.

My current firewire card uses a VIA chipset and works fine under “1394 OHCI Compiant Host Controller” driver mode (I found the technical name for it). You should definitely try this troubleshooting step. Again, you’ll use the old (around 2006), default, generic Windows drivers for 1394 interfaces.

Also, if your firewire card has older 400 speed style ports, use those, not the newer 800 speed style ports/cables. And if possible don’t use a cable that converts from 800 to 400 (with its two different connector ends). Also, try putting the cable into different ports on the card (if there are more than one) and also different ports on the audio interfaces (if possible). Try a different/fresh cable, too. Unlikely, but it’s worth trying. I would suggest a cable 6 feet or under, too.

But it sounds like you’ve found the video card is, if not a culprit, at least the thing that eases the symptoms of whatever underlying problem is the cause.

One thing is for sure: a GTX 760 with Cubase, in Win7 with firewire-based audio is working in at least one machine (mine). So, it seems unlikely that it’s the root of the issue, but I can’t rule that out.

Btw, I also have an ASUS motherboard (Maximus Gene IV).

Make sure you have the latest BIOS or UEFI and motherboard chipset drivers.

Not fun, I wish you luck.

I did try changing cable, switching port,
setting different setting in the bios, like
" disabling spectrum spread", the
list is loooooooong.

By the, to mentions it, i noticed that
switching my audiocard firewire port on
my computer, often provoke / trigger
a BSOD.
This has happened more than just a few times.
Second my pcie firewirecard is firewire 400 (3
ports and the the card has the VIA chip, which
i believe is a poor man’s choice.
I bought this pcie firewire card long time ago,
it was allready an old product, when i bought
it!.
I think this card has to go, so i can get
a new one, or i could buy a new asus motherboard with
firewire!.

My next audio interface will probably be USB 3.

Firewire has been rock solid for me with these Focusrites, but I think in general, firewire has seen its last days.

The firewire card that is working for me (and I even bought a spare in case it fries) is the Vantec 3-port (two external ports) firewire 400 PCIe card. It was like 20 bucks on Amazon.

Again, I don’t use its drivers, I use the Windows’ 2006 “1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller” drivers (built into Windows, no download required), as was recommended by Focurite tech support (when I, too, was having crackling issues).

I’m looking at getting an Audio over IP (AoIP) card, like the Dante, as it can connect to multiple remote audio modules from different manufacturers, as with the Focusrite RED series.

[Read no further if you have read my AoIP rants before!]
The Dante uses only a single ASIO driver, and can configure all the remote devices via a common interface. It means expansion without having to think about whether existing equipment will have to be replaced due to being able to only use one OEM’s ASIO driver at a time.

And using cheap stock-standard Gigabit cables and switches means that lengths are really no object. Audio, clock, and even power, via a single cable. Round trip latencies are 4ms, which is what I have now.

Unfortunately, it still needs time to mature, as the OEMs are targeting large installations, so there needs to be a greater selection of 2in/2out and 4in/4out modules to be available for it to be useful for those with more modest IO needs. The 2in/2out would allow each performer to have their own module for mics/instruments and foldback, all fed via a single cable from a PoE GbE switch, with a single cable out from the studio to the computer, and a 4in/4out module at the desk.

The near future is looking interesting, which is why I’m glad I didn’t have to replace my FireFaces when I upgraded my computer, as Firewire is definitely getting harder to accommodate.

That’s awesome. Yeah, I’ve been watching the Dante Via software/networking product with great interest. I’m sure the hardware is just as compelling.

I’ve also got my eye on the new MOTU networkable audio interfaces, cheaper than RME MADI, but if Dante Via can do what I need for a fraction of the cost, that would ideal.

I need 32 stereo channels (64 mono channels) of network I/O to a rackmount I’m building as a sort of external summer / console drive emulation, but a bit more than that, with compression, eq and virtual tape “printing” duties, as well.

The point being, of course, to offload the entire task to another, dedicated computer.

Hopefully Dante Via will do it with zero extra hardware!

Well, except for maybe an additional Ethernet card to do the whole dual, aggregated bandwidth thing. Or maybe even 10 Gigabit Ethernet, which would still be cheaper than audio hardware and have the advantage of bandwidth improvement for other things (and general future proofing).