Cubase Audio Engine vs Logic. Cubase wins!

Not from a marketing point of view, pulling in new users that may think such things matter is important to the growth of the company.

I’d say that level of user also puts a larger strain on support. On the other hand, doesn’t seem like there’s much support at Steinberg to begin with, so maybe that’s a non-issue.

Either way I really dislike the marketing in the last couple of videos I’ve seen.

The main point of this is that there were quite a few not very bright people refusing to try Cubase because their DAW had 64 bit summing and Cubase didn’t. Now that it has 64 bit summing, automation curves and a ton of inserts there’s really no excuse to avoid Cubase other than the dongle.

BTW there have been reports that the 64 bit engine actually performs better than the old 32 bit one. It might be worth it to give it a try.

Could you please clarify? Which reports? In which way it performs better?

If “better performance” is lower distortion figures, it doesn’t matter because figures of 32-bit engine were non-issue already. If “better performance” is lower CPU usage for a given task I might get interested.

“better” is an “iffy” word. “Better” can simply be “more efficient”, i.e. something users never ever notice except for lower CPU usage of whatever. But what Steinberg claimed in the video is something I’d dispute.

Yes, I mean better CPU performance.
Here’s a quick test someone did:

Thanks for clarification!

Hello - my first post here having returned to PC world from 13 years of Mac, and transitioning across from Logic X.
I’m puzzled about Cubase 9.5 having a 32bit audio engine, but a 64bit mixing engine. I’ve built my new PC with huge RAM, so am keen to utilise it. (Logic X puzzled me too, in quoting file and IO resolution of 24bit, with a 64bit summing engine.)
Sorry if this is a dumb question…

The 64 bit mixing engine they mention is a new 64 bit audio engine. Change the “Processing Precision” to switch to it:

I have had Cubase since 9.5 and am now in 10.5.
Today I did an experiment and bought Logic Pro X version 10.5. In Logic I loaded HZ Piano from Spitfire Audio and started playing. I immediately noticed that the sound wasn’t as clear or pronounced, kinda muted. I thought that I had done something wrong and checked my settings In Logic. Played again and still sounded muted.
So I loaded Cubase at the same time with HZ Piano. Same exact settings, same levels, no plug ins other than the Piano patch through Kontakt 6. To my surprise there was a major difference! Cubase sounded clear, lush and powerful. But in Logic this $400 piano sounded like a $50 Piano.
Can there really be that much of a difference between DAWs?! Has anyone else experienced this??

The Audio Engine Output section contains all the settings related to the output of the Cubase audio engine. … This is the resolution used for audio processing in Cubase. 32 bit (float) files are twice the size of 16 bit files. For CD burning, use the 16 bit option, as CD audio is always 16 bit.

We weren’t talking about that though.

Export both to .wav files and share so we can listen to them.

As for why there’d be a difference I have no idea. It doesn’t sound reasonable. It sounds like either a routing error or a mismatch in pan law (if you’re doing panning) or just a level difference (which you say isn’t the case). Certainly the actual “audio engine” should make close to zero difference here if all you’re doing is playing back a VSTi.

3 DAWs (A B C) 2 Pianos NI Alicia’s Keys and Berlin Grand
32 bit files -3 pan law

Yeah, not a major difference. At all.

…im using cubase (11 now) for one year and im a logic user for 10 years, when i first started cubase iv heard the same…more open and clean sound than logic…yes 10.6.1 logic is an amazing daw but it sounds kinda saturated, not clean as cubase,11 i did some tests too with kontakt sounds and i got the same result, the sound played in cubase is more open more 3d and cleaner…my friends tell me im crazy its the same zeros and ones digital, but i dont agree, maybe, just maybe its the AU vs VST issue…the null test says its the same, but my ears says its not…dont know maybe im crazy haha…regards to all

This has been under discussion over at the Reaper forum in recent times. A poster there claims Reaper is cold, Cubase is warm, Pro Tools neutral etc:

I don’t agree one way or another. Just use EQ to make it sound the way you want when mixing/mastering the project.

I know. Its in french. Try to activate the subtitles in english. But for me, its a case closed. Once and for all, there is NO difference between Daw’s Audio Engine!

Indeed! And there better not be, because the daw should not color the audio. That’s for the artist or engineer.

…2 years ago since i bought cubase i have the same doubt, Im a 10 y logic user and I tried to export the same midi file with the same sound with kontakt and cubase was much cleaner and warmer than logic…a week ago I decided to try again, the same drum loop from splice imported at 24/48 to logic cubase and st1…(with the same cla76 same settings) then exported to 48/16…imported again all the files in logic and put the gain plugin, inverted phase and they ,null, all…BUT when I tried the same with vst intsrument (nexus and kontakt)(the same midi file 100 % velocity) they were totally different…So my discovery was that it sounds different only when using vst instruments…don’t know why but Cubase has the best sound to my ears… regards