Cubase Can't create project because folder is "write protected"

Cubase Can’t create project because folder is “write protected”.
if I select one of the folders inside of it it creates ok, but when I select this main folder it keeps giving this error, even if I click “continue”

Hi,

Double check the folder permissions, please. Probably you are not allowed to write to this folder.

the folder is set to “read-only”, I tried un-checking “read only” as administrator, but it keeps reverting back to “read only”

Hi,

Set it to Read & Write, please.

need to get the different right access to manage otherwise it always be protected.

Windows won’t allow writing to some folders. I noticed that this has become more strict in a recent Win10 update.

What’s the full path of the folder you’re trying to write to?

Path is very short , maybe that’s the reason ?
H:/Projects/

I went an gave permission for read and write to admin and user and unclicked “read only” , but it keeps reverting back to “read only” again

I would suggest to check the ownership of the H drive (and the folder “Project”). Change the ownership under security settings and then grant read/write (all) rights. Maybe that helps. (Was the H drive transferred from a different PC ?).

I know the reply is late, but eventually I figured this out because I had a feeling it was a Windows issue… and surprise, surprise - it was! So what you want to do is head over to “Windows Security” (via Start Menu, or Windows search [Windows Key] and type “Windows Security” and hit Enter key). Then go over to “Virus & threat protection”, then go to “Ransomware protection” and click on “Manage ransomware protection”. Finally, where it says “Controlled folder access”, set the toggle switch to “Off”

P.S. - I’m still using Windows 10, on Windows 11 the steps are a bit different and it looks different, but the basic idea is the same - disable the ransomware protection feature in Windows Security

1 Like

Even though viruses are rare these days, so long as you can see the signs of “oh I better not download that and execute it”.

I might suggest a possible other solution for those that don’t want to open their entire folder system up to a possible attack.

It’s called “TakeOwnership”. Guide Here

This way, you can choose the folders you would like to access, by a simple right-click. I use it all the time, I love it.

1 Like

thank you. I forgot ot mention that I’m on Mac OS 14