Cubase can't open its own Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO driver

I have a brand new, powerful PC (Windows 10)

Installed Cubase £elements 9.5 today, no unsolvable problem

Downloaded the Yamaha Steinberg USB ASIO driver. Installed it following the instructions to the letter.

It turns out that Cubase somehow isn’t able to open it (see picture). Can somebody please help?

What audio interface are you hoping to use it with? It won’t work with just any Audio interface.

The device can’t be opened message tells you that there is not an Audi device compatible with The Yamaha USB driver. Compatible devices would include some Steinberg and Yamaha interfaces.

Interesting. It’s true that I don’t have a separate audio card installed. I only have the audio that is wired into my (fairly cheap) motherboard. Perhaps my PC isn’t so “powerful” after all :wink:

How can I see that my hardware is compatible with the USB ASIO driver or not?

ADDED: I get it. You actually have to buy a kind of external “box” to be able to use the driver, correct?

If it’s an onboard sound chip then the Generic Low Latency ASIO driver is the correct driver to use. The error message you saw already tells you that the onboard hardware is not compatible with the Yamaha driver (I wouldn’t expect it to be). If you’re going to use the onboard sound card then you might get better (lower latency) results from the ASIO4ALL driver.

Other than the onboard sound your PC may still be powerful but for a good audio PC one normally requires a separate Audio interface whether this from an external unit or internal sound card.

Hi, I have the same problems.
Would you recomend using Yamaha Go46 - Firewire or Steinberg Ur12?

Thanks