Cubase CPU Spikes

Hey folks,

I used to use Cubase with a mid-2012 iMac. Overall it worked very well. I was running Cubase 10 at the end. Computer eventually crapped out so I decided to go back to a spec’d up PC. Had one built from scratch. However, I’ve been having issues with CPU spiking and audio dropouts at times. I just feel the performance does not live up to the spec of my machine. I’ve tried some things based on other threads in these forums and others. I’ve changed the power saving mode both within Windows and using Steinberg’s version. I feel like this may be a Cubase issue but I’m unable to put my finger on it. Definitely looking for more stability cause I can have hardly anything going on workflow wise and have these issues. Here’s my current spec:

Motherboard msi Z490-A Pro S/N:

Processor 10th Gen. Intel Core i7-10700K, 3.8 GHz

RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB
(2x16GB)DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800)

SSD Crucial P1 1TB 3D NAND NVMe PCIe
Internal SSD, up to 2000 MB/s -
CT1000P1SSD8

SSD Seagate Barracuda 120 SSD 2TB Internal
Solid State Drive S/N: 7QX00C7Q

VIDEO CARD MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER SUPER
VENTUS XS OC 6GB 192-Bit GDDR6 PCI
Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

OS Microsoft Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) HST

Apogee Duet (current gen)

Any ideas or anyone solve a similar problem? Contemplated upgrading to 11 but not sure that would help given I’m not even sure why this is happening.

Hi,

First of all, I would try to test the system by using LatencyMon utility and follow the advise.

Thanks. I will give this a go when back on my computer. Will the home version suffice, or do you recommend buying the Pro version?

Hi,

You don’t need the Pro version.

Not sure if you need anything else, but I’m getting this as the main message:

Conclusion: Your system appears to be suitable for handling real-time audio and other tasks without dropouts.

Hi,

If the text is green, then the test passed.

May have spoken too soon. Let it run longer and I am getting the follow message now.

Conclusion: Your system seems to be having difficulty handling real-time audio and other tasks. You may experience drop outs, clicks or pops due to buffer underruns. One or more ISR routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.

This side of things is all new to me. I’ll have to research how to do this stuff. Any suggestions based on this? Appreciate all the help.

Hi,

I would follow the instructions and check the BIOS update.

Little update. I let this above LatencyMon software run a couple of times and got different messages at times and different drivers that were running too long. Without touching the BIOS, I did update some drivers etc, and did get a message referencing issues with a network adapter. My new build has no wireless built in, so I bought a USB wifi adapter as my modem is not close enough for a direct connection at the moment. I have disabled this and it appears to have been the major culprit. Fingers crossed, but no major issues since.

Hi,

Wow, congratulations! Good luck!