Cubase Crash when deleting imported tracks

Hello,

I’ve noticed a bug recently that only occurs under very specific circumstances causing Cubase to crash. It’s unclear what is exactly needed to reproduce the crash but here’s what I’m doing:

1. Import VST track or group track from another Cubase project
  2. Move insert plugins and/or EQ settings from imported tracks to existing tracks in project
  3. Delete imported tracks
    → Result = Cubase error msg (it says to save Cubase project under a new name, or something to that effect, then shortly after Cubase crashes)

It seems to me that the crash occurs whenever the names of the imported tracks are exactly the same as the existing tracks in the project.
→ Example: existing group track called “DRUMS” is in the open project, I import the group track “DRUMS” from another project, I move the inserts and EQ settings to the existing group track, then delete the imported “DRUMS” group track and Cubase crashes. If I rename the group track to something else, I can delete the existing “DRUMS” group track without any issues.

The plugins I was moving over were Steinberg/Native Instruments/Universal Audio plugins, all VST2 and VST3.

Here’s my system specs:
Cubase Pro 11.0.40 | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Intel(R) Core™ i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50GHz | 16 GB RAM | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 | ASUS Z87 Sabertooth Motherboard | Antelope Audio Zen Studio | Universal Audio Apollo Solo USB

Thanks!

Hi,

Could you attach the *.dmp file, please?
Win: Documents/Steinberg/Crash Dumps

Btw, there is Cubase 11.0.41 update. It fits just 2 local stuff, but it’s worth to install it.

I’ve attached the dmp file. Ok I’ll try updating to 11.0.41 and see if that helps.

Cubase 11.0.40.446 64bit 2021.11.26 17.52.59.120.dmp (1.1 MB)

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

1 Like

Ok I just updated to 11.0.41 and got the same error by doing the same steps.

Here’s the new dmp file
Cubase 11.0.41.448 64bit 2021.11.27 12.39.39.893.dmp (1.3 MB)

And a screenshot of the error message:
2021-11-27

1 Like

Hi,

Does it crash even if you use rather small project (you import from and also you import to), please? Could you try with 1 Steinberg plug-in only, please?

Could you attach a screenshot of the Import Options dialog, please?

Sure,

I’ve created one blank project “Test1” and added one audio track called “Audio 01” and inserted 1 Steinberg compressor.

Then created another blank project “Test2” and added one audio track called “Audio 01” and imported the “Audio 01” track from “Test1” which has the Steinberg compressor. I then move the compressor to the original “Audio 01” track in “Test2” and delete the imported track “Audio 01” (which has the exact same name as the original track) and no bug at all, no crash.

I’m using the exact same import track settings as described above (see attached).

Another thing to note is that all deleted tracks (audio, group, VST instrument) that caused the crash were routed to their respective group tracks (all of which had the same name and routing as the imported group tracks). Also, both the original and imported project are rather large with specific track routing (the imported audio/group/VST instrument tracks have the exact same name and routing as the original audio/group/VST instrument tracks, perhaps this is the reason for the crash?).

Hi,

Thank you very much for the update.

1 Like

Hi,

Would you be willing to share (via Private Message) any example project, please? Of course, without data, just the CPR file. Thank you.