Cubase crashes due to GPU Drivers

Good points but other than when using CB my PC is stable. I can play Cyberpunk or other heavy duty games all day without any issues, so if there was something loose or a dry joint, over heating etc, I’m pretty sure these taxing programs would be effected. Obviously I’m not suggesting CB and playing games is the same, but those games are pretty taxing on a PC’s hardware.
This is why I’m not convinced it’s hardware, as there is no other program crashing. I keep my system pretty clean and up to date.

I would try to update the driver. Or to make sure Cubase will only start with the Integrated graphics processor only.

1 Like

As ive said, I’m using the current drivers so without a Tardis, ‘updating the driver’ is not going to happen lol.
Also your Mac settings wont work on my PC ;-).

I’m confused as to why I’d need to use the Integrated graphics though. Surely the two Nvida cards ive used should be up to the task? I have used the setting where Windows uses the CPU and not my GPU, but that didnt really fix anything.
The crashes are random though (not had one for two days), so its hard to tell. I can say that crashes continue in one from or another, no matter what settings i use.

I am not sure to which mac setting you are referring to. I am only referring to Windows here.

There are known instability with Nvidia drivers and Cubase. Your error message is one of them. There is almost no benefits to use NVidia driver over the integrated one

I suggest to follow the indications on the screenshot I’ve attached. You need to make sure this is also the default one every time you will open Cubase. If you still encounter crashes with this setting than let us know. :slight_smile:

Try cleaning up your desktop icons.

a hated man once said, “Before saving the world, try cleaning your room”.

I’m not sure what that screen shot is, i dont see anything like that at all on my Windows 10 system. I assumed it was a Mac screen shot.
I’m confused as to what your suggestion though. To use the on board graphics wouldnt i need to use its dedicated output rather than the one from my Nvida card? Do you mean to just make sure CB does all the processing on the CPU but a still output via the Nvida card? This is a Windows setting, which ive tried.
Ive heard others with issues using ATI cards as well, so what are we supposed to use? If you can give me an idea of what card i can use that would give me issues I’m happy to get one.

Ive just checked and ive got Cubase set to run in high performance mode at the moment. Ill set it to let Windows decide. Is that what you are talking about? The only other option is Power save mode, which i would assume would use the CPU, but it only has my Nvida card listed.

How is this possible or rather, how does Steinberg find this acceptable?

NVidia are by far THE most popular cards in the media / content creation industry.

They’re probably the cards that are most likely to be found in most of your customers’ workstations.

They’re recommended as the preferred option by a lot of software providers like Adobe and so on.

And from ALL the apps I have installed on my workstation, some of them heavy on the graphic card, it’s ONLY Cubase that has issues (documented in another thread and in emails with support).

Being compatible with NVidia should be a high priority on your list.

“There are known instabilities with NVidia” is NOT an acceptable answer, even more so when it keeps being repeated for a long time.

1 Like

Well said. Exactly how I feel. It’s so frustrating hearing that I need to check this and that, that it’s my hardware etc, but CB seem to know there is an issue. All this fault finding we have to do seems to be pointless if there is an issue that we as users can’t fix.I appreciate its not an easy fix, but it’s not a cheap piece of software and you would expect more at this price.
Still, I’d say 90% of the time CB is working well for me. I’ve seen others with much more serious issues.

We have been in contact with NVidia. So far the main lead is that it’s due to faulty drivers and not on our side. We’re still investigating. That’s why I need to know if you keep having this issue if you switch the driver.

1 Like

So for all the very long time that you are blaming NVidia, it’s been “the faulty drivers”?
For years?
If that’s true, isn’t it kind of logical to work around those issues, because NVidia is not going anywhere and a good chunk of your customers will keep having NVidia cards in their systems?
If your GUI rendering system has continuous issues with the eternally faulty drivers of NVidia, then maybe it should be optimized to deal with those faults, as it seems to be the case with any other software that I’m using.

I am referring to this screenshot in this message.
Find your Cubase executable in Program Files. Right-click on Cubase.exe and go to the “Run with graphics processor” menu and select the “Integrated graphics”. Usually those options should be available. Make sure it’s set to default with this app. Report any issue you will have in the future in this thread and make sure to put me as an alias.

You’re asking questions beyond your pay grade, the dev isn’t here to be interviewed by you.

If you have nothing intelligent to say (the usual for you), better say nothing.

Ive said it already, but that run with Graphics option is not on my PC. Can you tell me where i can find it?
Ok, so I appreciate the info about Nvidia, and its good that its been acknowledged rather than blaming my card/PC/etc (not that you have personally), but where do we go from here?

I see ATi owners have issues as well, and as for a faulty driver, where is this documented? All my other programs work fine so I’m sorry but i don’t see how it can be Nvidia that’s at fault when only your program crashes. Obviously i wait to be proven wrong.
At what point did the issue first appear, and can I assume none of the older drivers are any better?

Here’s an idea. What if I remove all the Nvidia drivers, can i still run my GTX980 with basic windows drivers?
To be honest ive only had this specific issue once, so I’m not too worried about it at the moment.

Try reformatting your computer from scratch, has solved problems for me. nice fresh clean install.

What’s the point? If there is an issue with Nvidea then the issue is not going away.
None of my other programs need me to do this, it’s ridiculous that this is even a thing.
CB should work with Windows, that’s what it’s sold as doing. All this time spent messing around is just stupid. I’d love to find some way of getting my money back and moving on.
It’s obviously a CB issue, and I’m disgusted they keep passing the blame.

There woould be more people on the thread if it was a pproblem, most people have NVIDIA including myself

What’s the point?

Well the point is to eliminate variables. By the looks of your crashes it may not be graphics related, that may just be a symptom of something else. I’m sure a lot of use around here use Cubase on Windows and do not have these kind of issues, I know I don’t. So this seems to be something system specific to you, and the number of possibilities are endless. The fastest, and easiest way to rule out things like maleware or driver issues is to just start over fresh. Don’t be fooled that just because other programs seems to work fine that there is no issue.

There was another guy just recently that had all kinds of random crashes. He had upgraded his system from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and his issues were also very confusing because it seemed everything else worked fine. It ended up being that he was running old Windows 7 drivers for his interface and they were causing random crashes on his system. I don’t know how long he spent trying to figure it out, probably weeks at least. I know it sucks to start over fresh but most of the time it’s the best and fastest option.

2 Likes

did you build your own computer, or did you buy it premade?