Cubase crashes every day!

Steinberg support told me this,
“a fix will be available very soon. It will solve the issue.”

That was supposed to be 10.0.6. It didn’t solve the issue. 10.5 has not solved the issue either. I notice there is a support person commenting on other posts in this forum but not on this one. They are clearly aware of the issue and not owning up to it. But what am i supposed to do, keep paying for upgrades and praying it will work with my hardware? They should announce the problem and provide the fix when they have it free of charge to users who have reported the issue.

In the desperate search for stability I have installed Cubase 8.5 as it was suggested that graphics issues were introduced in v9. It doesn’t even look that different! But I lose a load of functionality. I should have bought Studio One!

I own 8.5 Artist, 10 Artist and 10.5 Pro. 8.5 is very different compared to the others I mentioned. Little things like closing windows is now done in the bottom left rather than the top right which took a lot of getting used to and just a very small example of changes people had to get used to from using Cubase at the very beginning. It may be frustrating for you but many people are in the same situation. A fix isn’t a upgrade and they would never get away with making people pay for a fix so I would certainly stop thinking that way. They have now announced that Amd and Nvida cause the issue so it might be down to those companies and Steinberg to both release new drivers which isn’t going to happen over night. Don’t forget it takes many people to complain about the same issue for them to deal with it. 1 person complains and they are not going to have 3 companies make drivers for that 1 person when it would be more evident that it’s their setup. If you don’t see a difference between 8.5 and the one you normally use, why did you upgrade? I upgraded because I wanted to get with the new layout and get used to it for any future releases. Moving to Pro was in a sale and made perfect sense at the time. I would have been happy to stay on 8.5 but I was looking ahead. At least they are now acknowledging the issue and all we can do is wait.

I didn’t upgrade from 8.5 , I have downgraded from 10 in an attempt to get some reliability out of a pricey license. As far as an overnight fix goes, I have been having this problem since late last year. The free update for 10 is 10.0.06. There will not be anymore fixes for that version so if a fix does arrive it will be in a version I have to pay for. I might be wrong but I dont see how this is a fault with AMD and NVidia drivers (two independent companies) when Cubase is the only software that is not working correctly. As far as my setup goes, it’s a bang up to date laptop purchased last year made by a major brand, it’s mainstream a.f. its not some kooky home build. I don’t feel Steinberg have acknowledged the issue. The tech support didnt say to me, “Oh yeah, you have an AMD, we are having a mare with those at the moment.” they told me 10.0.6 would fix it and then told me to reset preferences when it didnt.

“We also hope to have a solution soon, but it seems that it is also dependent on the graphics drivers (both NVIDIA and AMD) that seem to have issues with real time audio applications and their own optimizations. We are in contact with them however”.

This is the first time they have admitted it’s not just my card (5700xt). The last guy I spoke with made out it was my card and I had to use old drivers and not use this and that which is unacceptable when I paid stupid money for it. At least the ball is finally rolling. Don’t forget we are now moving into the next gen of consoles and gpu’s are already at that point. Maybe the gpu’s don’t play nice with certain aspects of Cubase or maybe Steinberg never updated to what the latest cards can do? I can totally understand how all 3 companies have messed up but, Stenberg should have been on the ball a long time ago with this issue.

Well that’s something i suppose. I wonder why they were not as forthcoming during my enquiries. But will we see patches free of charge? I’m not so sure…

I can’t keep repeating myself and please take it that I’m not trying to cause an argument. If you insist they are going to charge you for an update, you must have a personal vendetta with them. By law you can not sell something that is broken without either 1. giving a refund or 2. fixing it for free. I’m not sure where you got the idea of them charging for a update. The only thing they charge for is the new version (Cubase 11). They know the issue and they have accepted its across different makes and models. lets not be negative when they have only just started sorting a fix out. Imagine paying for a game and they charge you for every single update. You paid for it and it is down to them to fix it for free with a update and not a version which usually comes out towards the end of the year.

Having similar issues on the main edit window & the clip editor(vari-audio). About 6-8 edits in the program just quits. No freezing, no warnings, just quits. My performance meters are well below 25% on the machine. Went to search out the crash dumps, nothing for 10.5. My last crash dump was in April 2020 right before I upgraded to 10.5 I’ve had 8, 8.5, 9, 9.5 & even 10 work fine on this machine so it’s not a graphics card issue. My power scheme is set properly both in my PC settings and Cubase. WaveLab 10 works fine no problem, same goes with all my other software. Right now I’m just editing and mixing but if this were happening with a client in the room it be pretty shity. Plus it’s just frustrating.

Windows 10 w/latest update
Cubase 10.5 with latest update.
Xeon E-5 1650 V4
16g of ram
Nvidia Quadro P400

I purchased a home studio pack, Steinberg mixer that came with Cubase EL AI 10 six months ago. I have found it so hard to used the software as have been dealing with multiple problems from license manager through frequent crashing of the software.

At me moment I am dealing with crashing the software while doing basic things such as recording my instrument for ~2 min.

I am fairly knowledgeable on computers/software and write and design software for my job.

This software is one of a kind!!! the experience has been very disappointing and frustrating.

i cannot track the crashing so I cannot report how/why it crashes.

I am having this same issue of Cubase 10.5.20 just disappearing while I am working
It can happen in the midi editor after a couple of edits or even sometimes when I just press play
I am on a new PC build and everything else is fine on my system
I have an Nvidia RTX 2070 graphics card
I have trashed my prefs, I tried using the MIcrosoft basic display adapter but it won’t recognize my 2nd monitor
I have tried going back to 10.5.10 but the problem is the same
There have not been any posts in this thread for a while so I was wondering does anyone know if there is any progress with this situation

There are many reasons for cubase 10x to crash, and many of those reasons wind up being related to plugins, but I have found a 100% reliable way to crash my own copy of cubase 10.5

I have a microKORG XL+ synth connected to my 18 month old windows10 machine with cubase 10.5. That synth ships with an auto power-off feature that turns off the Korg when no activity for 4 hours. Whenever I wouldnt touch the Korg for a few hours, it would power itself off. Cubase crashes 100% of the time when this happens. I can test it right now – power off the Korg, cubase freezes hard, no crashlog.

This is just one of many ways cubase will crash, but again – many of the crashes are indeed related to 3rd party code.

Steinberg themselves have already said its down to the gpu and they are in contact with Nvidia and Amd. We are still waiting for a fix. Yes other things can crash Cubase but on this occasion, they have admitted what the issue is. Still waiting for the fix they said they are working on in my pm they sent me. Not everyone is using a Korg Synth and that may be your problem solved. But then again, you may still get random crashes due to the problem they have not fixed yet.

Hi
Has Nvidia sorted this out yet?

I am using Amd and this is still an issue. I have done some poking around looking for info on ucrtbase.dll. I have tried repairing the c++ runtime things, installing the windows 10 sdk. Im just shooting in the dark I don’t know anything about coding but I’m pretty sure this is not a Windows issue, it must be Cubase. Steinberg haven’t said a peep about it so what can I do but speculate? There are Steinberg techs that pipe up around here on other threads so I assume they are ignoring this one.

Hi
I have submitted my crash file to Martin J, because Ozone 9 made Cubase disappear with a poof and gone.
It was when i flicked between referncer track and my track ,or return to beginning of song on Reference track.
I tried out Hornets Master tool as well and that has been updated to 1.01 because of crashing.This program does not work at all for me and freezes.
So i have disgarded that.
I now re-imaged my drive on a Intel I7 computer 32 gig 2years old with a nvidia card in there .
I cleared out a lot of junk that i do not use including Mixcraft and FL Studio. I now just use FL Studio Synths…
I got rid of Softube plugins except the fixed flanger. I got rid of all old Cakewalk Sonar platinum stuff .
So far the crash has not re-occurred, but i am waiting for confirmation either from Cubase Support or Martin J.
It may be third party plugins or as you say a Nvidia problem.
Apart from the Ozone problem , everything ok also with Neutron.
I would be more inclined to think that a cheap or third party plugin is interfereing.

All The best
John

May 11th 2020
“We also hope to have a solution soon, but it seems that it is also dependent on the graphics drivers (both NVIDIA and AMD) that seem to have issues with real time audio applications and their own optimizations. We are in contact with them however”.

June 19th 2020
"I am sorry for the lack of updates on this matter! The reason is that there are no results that could be shared at this point.
At the moment, we are a bit stuck in the middle between GPU manufactures, drivers and our own components that have dependencies in this area. It is a topic with high priority but nothing that can be solved quickly. We do not aim at a paid update for a fix/change but it may take longer than expected.

That is unfortunately all I can reply at this point. I will keep monitoring any progress and send a follow-up as soon as this happens".

My first support ticket was created 6 months ago. And I have been waiting since June 19th for a follow up. I’ve just gone back to my support only to find they have marked it as “Solved”.
Take note on this…“We do not aim at a paid update for a fix/change but it may take longer than expected”.
I asked if it would be fixed in Cubase 11 and they would expect us to pay for it and that was the response. Everyone should message Ed Doll who has been messaging me about all of this. It’s now beyond a joke and I won’t be buying Cubase 11 if I know for a fact its got a fix for the crashing issue. It’s clear they are aware of the issue but, they seem to be brushing it under the carpet.

It’s a crash monster FIX IT!

Thanks for posting your updates. I can’t get my head around the idea that Steinberg are stuck on issues with Nvidia and AMD, two seperate manufacturers whose gpus work fine with every other software out there. Cubase is clearly programmed wrong and is asking the gpus to do something they are not able to. My solution so far has been using older versions of Cubase, you can use them on your current licence. I started with 8.5 but it was too much of a regression so I am trying 9.5 which has been stable so far.

“I said this on here ages ago…
A new graphics sub-system has been introduced in Cubase 9.5 that seems to show incompatibilities with certain NVIDIA graphics processing units (GPU) and driver versions”.

Because we are in a new generation of gaming, we have had new gpus over the last couple of years. I honestly believe Steinberg have not got a clue how to use new technology and if they do release a new Cubase with another Graphics sub-system update, I hope to god they let people who had this issue have a copy for free. Now Cubase tends to come out November time and I have heard nothing about Cubase 11 but someone did say they might skip 11 and go straight to 12 next year. Let’s say going to 12 is true…they will 100% be updating everything over a year. But if they go to 11 in November with a new graphics sub-system, that means they can’t sort 10.5 out. I hope I’m wrong but, it all seems to be heading one of those ways.

Maybe the suggestions in this thread may help someone? It seemed to help the OP in that thread, at least.

(This thread is about AMD/Radeon. I havn’t tried it myself, I don’t have any dedicated graphics card, just integrated graphics, and don’t have the problem.)