Cubase Crashes Running Two EZDrummers VSTs

My OS is Windows 7 (64). I’m running Cubase 5.5.3 in 32 bit mode along with EZDrummer in 32 mode. All is fine when I run one instance of EZDrummer.
The problem starts when I load and run a second instance of EZDrummer.
I have no problems editing, recording and working in the project for hours.
I save the the project and close Cubase out.
I come back and boot up Cubase and then load the project.
The project starts loading and then I get a message stating “Cubase has stopped working” with the following crash info.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Cubase5.exe
Application Version: 5.5.3.651
Application Timestamp: 4d2ef8fc
Fault Module Name: ezdrummer.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4da7100a
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000b0a10
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

1. I just created a new test project. Call it “Crash Test”
  2. Add a midi track
  3. add a second midi track
  4. Select EZDrummer as the first VST instument
  5. assign first EZDrummer VST to first midi track. Drag and drop a midi drum beat from the first EZDrummer (default kit). Load 4 bars of a basic beat.
  6. save project as “Crash Test” and close out project. Cubase is still running.
    load an old, different project that has only one EZDrummer VST loaded.
  7. play through song and then close out the different/older project.
  8. Open test project… no problems. Now load a second EZDrummer VST instrument and load the Latin Percussion expansion pack.
  9. now load some Latin Percussion beats… four bars. Play through the four bars. Save project as “Crash Test_b”.
  10. Close project…
  11. now open project “Crash Test_b”.
  12. Project opens with “Cubase has stopped working” with the same error report. Close down Cubase.
  13. Boot up Cubase again. Open project “Cubase Test” that has only one EZDrummer VST instrument loaded.
  14. no crash… and no problems.

Help… and help!!! LOL

Try running Cubase as administrator.

Still no work? Try trashing prefs.

Wonderful help, eh? :unamused:

Still had the problem when I ran Cubase in Admin mode. I’m still trying to find where the “prefs” is located at…

I’m not sure I know where they would be on a win 7. :confused: Sorry.

Does EZ drummer work as a standalone?

That’s cool. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate you taking the time to help.
EZDrummer runs fine as a stand alone and works in Cubase if one instance of EZDrummer is loaded. I have a problem when I load a second instance of EZDrummer. I’ve tried rearranging the VST Plugin directory. still have the problem. I don’t feel like spending five hours rebuilding all the tracks for a song again… I did this twice already before narrowing dow the problem… :ugeek:

found the folder. I cut and pasted it to my desktop as a back up. Good thing I did. Trashing the prefs folder didn’t work either.
Guess I’ll just have to create a new project to work on percussive tracks and then export the midi files as audio into the project I’m working on. pain in the rear but I’ve tried everything just short of wiping my hard drive clean and reinstalling windows XP and all my software. Hating the fact that I updated from a rock solid XP system to windows 7 just so that I might one day update to Cubase 6 or a future release. :sunglasses:

Hope someone from Steinberg can help. Going to go check the Toontrack forums now. Wasted a day of recording over this… oh well…

It seems I have outlived my usefulness on this one. I have no clue why this hasn’t been fixed.

Your experience sounds similar to my experience on my old computer using Cubase 5 32 bit with Jamstix 3 with 8 outputs. The problems were always on initializing after saving and closing down. Personally, I think it is a memory problem. The old computer only had 4 GB RAM. Bottom line is that when I got more memory and installed 64 bit Cubase, the problem stopped. Have you considered installing the 64 version and giving it a try?
J.L.

This is the reason why I went back to 32 bit. I was having the same problem running Cubase and EZDrummer at 64 bit. Thought if I uninstalled everything and reinstall everything at 32bit it would work like it did under XP. Both EZDrummers output signal were only fed to a stereo output. Nothing more. I used to have two or three EZDummer VSTs loaded with a few other VST instruments under Windows XP with no problems at all. I wish I could figure out the problem so I can get on with my projects. I’ll just have do the work around for now. Thanks for replying.

bump…

This is probably a good time to contact tech support. Few of us actually have EZdrummer, so we can’t test it out. This seems to be a glitch, so nothing more we can do. Your best and final hope: report it to Steinberg.

Well, I guess I have to figure this out on my own or have someone in the forums help me… Thanks for the help Bane and Jaslan… here was the response I got from Steinberg. I’m thinking that I need to delete the Toontrack 64 bit folders in Windows 7. I had intially installed Cubase as 64 bit… uninstalled it and reinstalled it at 32 bit. The same with EZDrummer. I’m wondering if that has anything to do with the problem I’m having. :question:

"Hello,

Your problem is specifically related to EZDrummer and it is not something that we can recreate here.We recommend that you contact Toontrack support and see if they can help troubleshoot the issue you’re having with their software.

Thanks,
Brad
Steinberg Support"

My OS is Windows 7 (64). I m running Cubase 5.5.3 in 32 bit mode along with EZDrummer in 32 mode. All is fine when I run one instance of EZDrummer.
The problem starts when I load and run a second instance of EZDrummer.
I have no problems editing, recording and working in the project for hours.
I save the the project and close Cubase out.
I come back and boot up Cubase and then load the project.
The project starts loading and then I get a message stating Cubase has stopped working with the following crash info.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Cubase5.exe
Application Version: 5.5.3.651
Application Timestamp: 4d2ef8fc
Fault Module Name: ezdrummer.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4da7100a
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000b0a10
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

1. I just created a new test project. Call it Crash Test
  2. Add a midi track
  3. add a second midi track
  4. Select EZDrummer as the first VST instument
  5. assign first EZDrummer VST to first midi track. Drag and drop a midi drum beat from the first EZDrummer (default kit). Load 4 bars of a basic beat.
  6. save project as Crash Test and close out project. Cubase is still running.
    load an old, different project that has only one EZDrummer VST loaded.
  7. play through song and then close out the different/older project.
  8. Open test project… no problems. Now load a second EZDrummer VST instrument and load the Latin Percussion expansion pack.
  9. now load some Latin Percussion beats… four bars. Play through the four bars. Save project as Crash Test_b.
  10. Close project…
  11. now open project Crash Test_b.
  12. Project opens with Cubase has stopped working with the same error report. Close down Cubase.
  13. Boot up Cubase again. Open project Cubase Test that has only one EZDrummer VST instrument loaded.
  14. no crash… and no problems.

Have you reported this issue to the EZDrummer support? I would be interested to know if this can be reproduced. :wink:

I did contact Toontracks. Seems like version 1.30 and earlier causes this crash. I had to update to 1.31. The main problem was that I did update to version 1.31 BUT… I had a EZDrummer .dll file in two locations. It updated one .dll file in a VST folder located in the “programs” directory (it was the only .dll file in the folder) while the other .dll file is in my Cubase 5 folder in the VST Plugins folder did not update from version 1.30 to 1.31. I deleted the VST folder under the programs directory, ran the update… booted up Cubase 5… opened one song that wouldn’t open due to the crash and… wait for it… it worked!!! I don’t have that crash anymore… all the song files that crashed before now open up with no problems… Now I can go back to recording music.

Great news! Glad you got it sorted out.
J.L.

Thank you guys for helping!!!