Cubase device maps for hardware synths?

As I said before: the features of ScriptMaker are baked into Cubase’s MIDI Device Manager. You are not missing out anything.

If you cannot find a script file and have to start from scratch please note that you can quickly make a lot of patches in one go. However, you will have to enter the patch names manually yourself.

Look here please:
I go to MIDI Device Manager,
click “Install Device”

In the new window “Add MIDI Device” I select “Define New…”, then click OK.
I then click “Open Device” (make sure it is the selected device in the section “Installed Devices”).

grafik

In the new window I will switch the view from “Device” to “Patch Banks”.
There I will checkmark “Enable Edit” first,
then click on the button left of it, which probably will read “Create Bank”. Now there is already one bank automatically created, let’s use that one.
Therefore I will select “Add Multiple Presets”. That will bring up another window.

grafik

Please note you can edit the columns “MIDI Message Name” and “Range”, but Cubase does not like to show that to you because it would rather leave you guessing what to do here.
Anyway, it is time to find out what your synth needs to receive in order to switch patches properly. Look at the synth’s manual (MIDI implementation chart).
I created an example where the synth expects a BankSelectMSB first, then the Program Change.
Note the column “Range”. You can insert one value here or define a range.
My example will create 128 presets (= patches). All of them call Bank MSB 0 and the Program Change will go up one by one.

If I do this…
grafik

… I will create 32 presets. The first 16 for bank 0, the next 16 for bank 1.

The main typing process is entering the names of the patches one after another.

1 Like