Cubase Dongle at the end of life

Hi All,
I feel that my dongle is at the end of life.
What happens if it dies? Do I loose my Cubase and Wavelab Licenses?
If I buy the new dongle, is it possible to transfer the licenses over to a new one?

If your license is registered it’ll be recoverable. You can transfer them to a new dongle.

Don’t wait for it to die though. Buy a new dongle now and do the transfer while the old dongle still works. Just open the e-licenser and you can move the licenses around inside there.

As no-one has explained how to do this, the process is simple. You plug both old and new dongles into your machine and drag the licenses from the old/existing dongle to the new via eLicenser Control app.

See here:-

“To transfer a license, open the eLicenser Control Center, click on a displayed license (on the right) and drag it to the target USB-eLicenser (on the left). As soon as you release the mouse button, the license will be transferred.”

1 Like

I replaced my old dongle with a new one. This is something that I highly recommend. Changing the dongle (in my opinion) is necessary. The older dongles are USB1 and they cannot supply info fast enough when booting up Cubase. The new ones are USB3.
When Cubase boots up, (according to tech support) it makes several requests to the dongle for verification on Cubase, Halion, Groove Agent and several apps that run inside the program. This is why is takes a bit of time to boot up Cubase. With the old dongle, it took sixty seconds; with the new dongle, it take less than twenty seconds.
My boot up was starting to give me error messages and I’d have to start over. Once I changed the dongle, it all went away. The new OS’s move far to fast for a USB1 dongle to be able to keep up.

1 Like

Hello,
help forum shows this info,
To transfer a license, open the eLicenser Control Center, click on a displayed license (on the right) and drag it to the target USB-eLicenser (on the left). As soon as you release the mouse button, the license will be transferred.

It advises this works for soft licences. when i access e licencer app I see my dongle licences and my cubase 12 soft licence, but i can’t simply click and drag it to the dongle, it just sits there ?
Question ? how can I move my soft licence so I can use my new computer with cubase 12 ?

Cubase 12 uses Steinberg Licensing, not the eLicenser. So you shouldn’t see a Cubase 12 soft license on the eLicenser software.

Find the application called Steinberg Activation Manager (SAM) on your computer and run that, that is where the Cubase 12 licenses are managed.

1 Like

Thanks for reply, I’ll have a look, but i have attached a pic showing the soft licence in e licencer for interest

Every eLicenser install has a soft eLicenser entry with a unique ID that’s tied to a particular machine, that’s normal. But it won’t be the same soft eLicenser as on your original machine.

You can check your mysteinberg account to see the ‘old’ eLicenser licenses and the soft ID will be different. i.e.:

You can reactivate it, but you won’t need to as being on Cubase 12 you’ll be using the new licensing and activation manager. This enables you to have a single license installed and activated on up to 3 different machines.

The only concern is if you want to still run pre v12 versions of the software, at which point you will need to reactivate Cubase on that machine into the soft licenser ID that you see. But you are limited to one machine at a time on the eLicenser.

I’m probably not doing a great job of explaining this! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great I can see the licence. only option is to deactivate it.
So, do I deactivate and reinstall cubase on new drive and somehow activate it again ?
If I sell the software how do i get the soft licence to a new owner ?

Sorry for all the questions but hopefully I’ve found a helpful person, skijumptoes who may kindly explain how this licence stuff works.
Thanks in advance, Sam

If you can only deactivate it, that means it’s already activated on that machine - and you can have it activated on up to 3 machines at a time.

So, you should be good to just use Cubase now… Or are you having a problem?

To sell the software you contact Steinberg to have it released and they will issue you a download code which you can then pass on to the new user, and it will register as a new product for them.

Don’t confuse the terminology ‘soft licenser’ with ‘steinberg licensing’ though, they’re two different systems now.

1 Like

no cubase problem,just i was going to sell the cubase 12 to a friend as i spend most time on Logic pro the dongle I gave him will allow cubase 11 to run, how do i get the cubase 12 version to his computer ?
that’s my issue.

Thanks for helping appreciated
sam

Ah ok, so you need to contact Steinberg and they will issue a download code which you friend can register into their own account. Steinberg are normally very quick at responding.

Information here:

Click on the red “Start resale wizard”, read the notice and then “Continue”

Then click on “Steinberg Licensing”:

Then “Request change of ownership”:

Like I say they’re pretty quick at responding, maybe not this time of night in Europe though! :slight_smile:

1 Like

What a dude, a million thanks, have a great day/night

sam

Just remember that doing this will not allow you to use the license in future, as it will be tied to your friends Steinberg account once they use the download code that Steinberg provides.

But if your friend wanted to use it on your machine they could log in with their details via the activation manager.

1 Like