Cubase/Dorico Integration?

It surprises me that to this day the integration of Dorico and Cubase is postponed over and over again.
As many suggested (for instance in the Dorico forum) that it would be a good idea to have Dorico Elements as a basic score-editor in Cubase and ditch the old score-editor. Working with both Dorico and Cubase, users are forced to have to work with different approaches and ways of doing things score-wise. From the very beginning the integration should have been important. How many more updates have to pass??

I agree with everything Mackieguy says here.

I compose better in Sibelius, because I am used to working with pencil and paper, and the ability to copy and paste and transpose and other composing techniques are easier for me to see things in a notation program. Noteperformer is good enough (great really) to get an idea of what you are doing in Sibelius. However, no audio, terrible handling of VSTā€™s, nothing at all for continuous controllers, useless for keyswitches, etc, makes Sibelius a dinosaur for anything beyond Noteperformer, in my opinion.

So all I need is what Mackieguy says: simple sync between Dorico and Cubase so I can work with both, go back and forth, to do whatever is best suited to the work, but when I hit play they run in sync. I donā€™t care which is the master or slave, as long as they can preferably both use the same sound device, but if not I have more than one anyway. At the moment I do this with Sibelius and Cubase via rewire. But I have been watching for two years to see when the time comes to make the inevitable switch from Sibelius to Dorico. Everyone will do this one day, because Dorico is getting better and better.

I tried out Dorico in its first version some time ago and decided that I would switch to Dorico as soon as it fulfilled the following conditions:

1. Better than Sibelius at handling VSTā€™s, loading and assigning sounds and better control over CCā€™s, Keyswitches, etc.
  2. Enough features and functionality as a professional notation program.
  3. Integration with Noteperformer.
  4. Ability to seamlessly sync to Cubase.

For me, all 4 conditions were deal-breakers. I just tried a 30-day trial of Dorico 3, and am excited to find the first three conditions are now fulfilled (and Dorico 3 does all of them really well.) But the fourth condition is still lacking, so I cannot make the switch. (Maybe the ā€œ3ā€ of Dorico 3 means three out of four conditions now fulfilled. When they get to four Iā€™m jumping the Sibelius ship.)

Dorico is now such a great program, but how can they expect someone like me (who uses Sibelius in Rewire in sync with Cubase) to come over to Dorico and go backwards in this crucial function?

1 Like

Ironically I only use the Score Editor in Cubase when preparing the score prior to moving it to Dorico, where I do most of the score editing to get it ready for printing, so yeah, definitely +1 for Cubase/Dorico integration of some kind.

+1

Iā€™ve used the Cubase score editor as a prep tool for Dorico as well; transfering the data via MusicXML. For my current project I composed within Dorico and exported MIDI to create the mock in Cubase. So I see value in integration in both directions.

I too prefer integration in both directions. In my opinion it would be best to implement a solution based on network IP protocol which would be publicly documented. This would allow third party vendors to offer Cubase or Dorico modules for their own applications. Another advantage of such an interface would be network access to Cubase/Nuendo/Dorico, which I would generally welcome.

only suggestion:

In order to get the most out of such an interface, the solution could be introduced via the VST 3 plugin system. Music XML is a static solution via a file, my suggestion would provide network access to VST3. Each VST3 plugin can then communicate over IP what its capabilities are, and host applications such as Cubase would then be track based where the plugins in question have been inserted and act as a control center and distributor of ā€œmusical data streamsā€, analogous to Midi interfaces.

I think that a Cubase/Dorico integration may be similar to what happen in Studio One and Notion: two separate products with a fast way to interchange contents and enjoy the power of each software.

For me replacing note entry and editing of score editor with the ones from Dorico and fully integration of dorico like wavelab and spectralayer In cubase.

+1 to the sync feature between Cubase and Dorico. They may share the video, the markers, the tempo track, the instruments and even the flow system (which would be fantastic in Cubase to score different parts of the same video and preventing the first to change the second one in any aspect -especially tempo-).

When Steinberg announced Dorico, a lot of people though of this possibility. Itā€™s been 4 years nowā€¦ They should do something. They donā€™t have to ditch the old score editor.

Iā€™ve watched the Alan Silvestri video about how he uses Dorico and Cubase and itā€™s fantastic. It would be even better if you can have both programs opened in sync (and without destroying the performance of your computer, of course).

For cost, They could make it like NEK for Nuendo and sell the integration just like NEK for Nuendo pre 8. We understand this is two product and folks who really really need it would pay the extra cost!

Hello, Iā€™ve posted in the Dorico forum my idea of how Dorico and Cubase could work together. Itā€™s not a full integration, just the ability to work with them in sync.

Also, Cubase should implement something similar to flows in order to improve the syncronization.

+1 Iā€™m holding off on Dorico, but the moment itā€™s integrated to Cubase Iā€™m in

since I use the Yamaha GENOS with Cubase 12, if I edit anything in the score editor the original GENOS articulation is seemlessā€¦taking a midi file out to a third party score editor might present issues when imported back to the midi trackā€¦I have my concernsā€¦JMHO others may differ

This killed me!! :joy::rofl::rofl: