Cubase editor opens out of focus

Hi
I seem to have this problem from time to time: Lets say I want to edit some midi just before bar 30. In my arrangement I place the cursor around bar 30 and hit’s Enter (my shortcut for open Editor). Now the editor opens but far away from bar 30! Sometimes it’s difficult to see where “I am” in the arrangement. Hitting G or H (zoom) brings the pointer to center, but it is annoying to have to do it every time.
Is there a way to make the editor open with the pointer centered?

Hi Musicmind,
I have similar behaviour but with editting audio. Double clicking the audio in the project window will open up the audio editor but not at the time where I placed the project cursor. I usually shortly hit play and the editor will jump to the right place immediatly. Maybe this allso helps for midi. Hope it helps…

Hi

Yes it works that way, but why doesn’t it just work automatically? There are FAR to many small distractions in the daily work with Cubase, sadly!
Regards Stig

Maybe this helps:

Select the first option

No it just syncs the mixer and the project. Sorry!

Yep, most of the time, when I open an editor window with a MIDI content, the view is at origin, which often doesn’t help…

The best workaround I found until now is to use the double-click behavior in the preferences, so that the key/drum editor opens in the lower zone :

Then use this tool to sync the arrange and the editor views (both horizontal zoom and cursor position are synced) :

C12_LinkCursors

haven’t found a better way to solve the issue, until now… :neutral_face:

Make a macro as follows:

Transport - Locators to Selection
Transport - To Left Locator
Edit - Open
Edit - Select in Loop
Zoom - Zoom to Selection
Edit - Select None

and assign the usual key command for opening the editor to this macro instead.

This will always open the editor with an appropriate zoom factor for what you have selected and the project cursor will be positioned at the start of the selection. It works for both audio and MIDI events.

Thats a tip, but I need the editor to open in it’s own window, because I use so many VSL libraries and they have huge VST maps and I use Metagrid Pro, which switch to another “View” when the editor opens!

Hi
Thank you for you help. I know all these shortcuts, but it will move the cursor, which I don’t want. You see, sometimes I need to edit several tracks at a specific point in the seq. And that’s why I need the editor to open with cursor in that position, so I can edit all midi events in one go.

There are so many small - I admit - things in Cubase, that doesn’t work all the way. An ex.: There are so many keyboard shortcuts, and you could go on forever designing you control surface to use them, but no shortcut for Save/Load Track Preset!! What??
You think okay they must have forgotten to implement that, but update after update passes by and nothing!
Another ex. Several functions are used via a “toggle” switch. If you use your mouse that’s okay, but if you use some kind of control surface like Metagrid, and want to assign a “button” for a “toggle” function, you can’t do it reliably because you have to know the state of the function before you launch the action!
Regards Musicmind

Then use the following macro instead:

Transport - Locators to Selection
Edit - Open
Edit - Select in Loop
Zoom - Zoom to Selection
Edit - Select None

I hit the F key twice to activate/deactivate Auto Scroll.
I’ve never tried putting that in a macro, but it may work. It does not move the cursor.