Cubase Elements 8 not finding my device

Hey guys, so today I went ahead and bought the focusrite scarlett 2i4. I bought Cubase 8 elements yesterday from the shop and digitally downloaded it. Everything is fully installed and updated (drivers as well) but it still wont find my interface. Ive been trying to figure out whats wrong for hours and im super frustrated. I just dont know what else to do because my buddy has the same setup I do (with cubase 8 elements as well) and his works fine. Its weird though because the program will recognize the Scarlett under Devices > Device Setup > Midi Port Setup where it shows the i/o options but it wont find the VST audio system under Devices > Device Setup > VST audio system

Any advice will help… ive tried connecting it in different USB ports and have restarted it a couple times after updating the drivers.

I’ve just bought Cubase Elements 8 because I’ve always liked Cubase since my first for the Atari - a long time ago! I downloaded the trial version firstly and find it the best. However, I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface and have been using Sonar X1 Essential which shows all the input/outputs (1+2/3+4) available which you can choose as applicable - lovely, no problem… but - in Cubase 8 Elements this does not happen. It shows the Scarlett, but apparently only one output. There are three sets of output sockets on the 2i4; L&R balanced 1/4" jacks which handle only the mic/guitar inputs, and two unbalanced phonos designated as 1+2, and 3+4. I’m using a Boss BR-1600 digital recorder also to which I wish to send tracks edited in Cubase. In Sonar this works fine as I can choose any of the Scarlett’s outputs. Does anyone know why this doesn’t happen with Cubase? I find it something of an anomaly as with the Focusrite being a very popular interface how is this apparently not being addressed, considering the original poster has not had an answer at all?
I’m always glad to learn and appreciate any information, but being a retired man, I’m not about to go out and buy the Steinberg interface!
Best wishes to all
Rich Alvey UK