CUBASE ELEMENTS & AND NOVATION LAUNCHKEY

Hi everyone, just got a novation launchkey and i am having real problems setting it up.
I have gone through all of the settings and cannot see where i have gone wrong.
Sound did come out of cubase once for about twenty seconds then nothing. Its obvious that i am doing something really silly because i can get it to work in Ableton.
Any help would be really appreciated.
Cheers everyone
P.S.
Im working with windows 8, i5 quad core, 4 gig ram, onboard sound card[yes i know ist crap]focusrite scarlett 2i2

I have gone through all of the settings and cannot see where i have gone wrong

Cubase started after the usb connected?
Instrument loaded?
Monitor button selected?

Ok, after changing many settings i looked at my buffer size, and for me to get a decent latency in vst and audio i had it turned right down. as soon as i started turning it up my controller worked. Guess what, i need a new sound card.
More toys for me. Im still getting latency in midi, from the time i hit the key to hearing the note is about half a second, any ideas or will a sound card fix this as well.
Cheers

You realise your signature lists 2 soundcards??

If you’re trying to use onboard, then that is very likely the problem…ASIO4All drivers might help a bit (perhaps a lot)
If you’re using Scarlett 2i2 with the proper asio driver you should be able to get playable latency.

Give more info…what card, what driver, what buffer size??

Hi Grim, when i first posted i had a basic onboard sound card which was for midi, and the scarlett was for audio and vsti. Now ive changed the onboard card for a soundblaster z. I would have gone for the audiophile but M-Audio still haven’t got any drivers for Windows 8.
Now, ive got the audio working ok, and by cranking up the latency ive got the vst instriments working. It seems that with the very low buffer the vsti didn’t want to work.
My problem now is getting cubase to use my new card for the midi, im still hacking and bashing at this but any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

My problem now is getting cubase to use my new card for the midi, im still hacking and bashing at this but any ideas would be gratefully accepted.

The Novation Launchkey is plug and play USB…you don’t need any midi interface…plug it in, start Cubase and select it in the tracks midi input.

Grim, your absolutely right about not needing an interface, the Launchkey is just a controller and it requires the midi side of the sound card for the instruments. I could just use the vsti but midi is less cpu intensive. Anyway i managed to switch off the onboard soundcard off and get Cubase to use my new card, my only problem now is latency between the keyboard and actual sound, this is about half a second. If i reduce my buffer size t bring down my latency then i loose my vsti’s. Im slowly getting there, thanks for your input, trust me its nice to be able to bounce ideas off of other people, especially when really i dont know what im changing half the time.

the Launchkey is just a controller and it requires the midi side of the sound card for the instruments. I could just use the vsti but midi is less cpu intensive.

So you are trying to control external hardware??

trust me its nice to be able to bounce ideas off of other people

Here’s an idea…explain what you are trying to do in full rather than revealing other little bits with each post :wink: