Cubase Elements Focusrite 18i20

Hello.

I haven’t been able to find a definite answer to my questions, so I thought I should post on here and hope!

I was planning to use Cubase Elements with the Focusrite 18i20 (I know there are other options, but this is the set up I have questions about).

I have a couple of questions. I’m not very technical, so try to be concise. Thanks!

1. Can Cubase Elements multi-track record onto separate tracks for separate mixing? For example,if I was recording a drum kit, could I record separate tracks for kick, snare etc. onto Cubase Elements which could be edited, EQed separately (not appearing as one track).

2. If the answer to the above is yes, what is the maximum number of simultaneous tracks that Elements can handle?

3.If the answer is yes, can I use Focusrite 18i20 as my interface?

Thanks in advance.

I won’t bore you with the ins and outs of how I got here, but that’s the basic info I need.

1. Yes
  2. 48 audio, 64 midi, 24 instrument tracks
  3. Yepper, you have 8 pre amps on the Focusrite to get you going. You will need to learnt he Focusrite Console Software, there are videos on youtube.

Re question 2, Elements can have a max of 24 inputs/outputs. So, you could have a problem if you’re in a situation where you want to use all your inputs and outputs(18 ins and 20 outs on the said Focusrite with external ADAT boxes) at the same time.

Blink

Thanks!

Just needed to know I wasn’t heading down a blind alley. If I have further problems I’ll follow up in here.

Thanks you again!

Okay. I’ve set up Cubase Elements on my PC.

There are several suggested templates. They all suggest only 2 inputs (recording voice onto one track, and vocals onto another, for example).

There are no suggestions for what I said above. This, and the fact that my searches don’t seem to yield any reference to what I’m looking for, doesn’t bode well, but I remember I was told on here that it can be done. So…

What next?

1. Go to the Studio Connections tab up top, open that up and go to INPUT tab, create your input buss, select the physical INPUT for that bus and then select your Focusrite as the audio device
  2. Add 8 mono audio tracks and select the correct input in the inspector, label them
  3. File SAVE AS TEMPLATE
  4. Now when you open up Cubase just open the template then do a SAVE AS for the new project you are doing
  5. There should be an 8 track recording template there already