Cubase freezes while playback is still playing

Greetings.

Recently I upgraded my cubase from 8.5 to 9.5 and when I’m using it on my laptop (Asus ROG Strix GL503) everything occasionally freezes. I can still play or pause the playback however the display freezes. windows like audio and midi editor are opening but I can’t see them because the display is stuck. It’s like cubase is still running but the display is stuck. I’m losing my mind here. I bought a powerful laptop so I can do my homework on cubase at work but I can’t do anything when I can’t see what I’m doing.

Please help! :cry:

Surprisingly I found a simple solution after grinding the entire internet for it.

It appears to be a bug with nvidia graphic cards so here’s what you should do if you have the same problem:

Go to nvidia control panel > Manage 3D settings > Program Settings tab > Add Cubase 9.x.exe then select “Intergrated graphics” under “Select the preferred graphics processor for this program”

Now Cubase won’t trigger any display bugs with the graphics card and simply use intergrated graphics instead. Now I can work on my laptop again!
yay :smiley:

Cheers!

I have a very similar problem in both Cubase 9.0.40 and 9.5.30 (Cubase 9.5.30 and 9.0.40 hangs - Cubase - Steinberg Forums).

Unfortunately my motherboard doesn’t seem to have integrated graphics and so I can’t do the above as the option simply isn’t there. I have tried disabling as much as possible regarding 3D acceleration in the Nvidia control panel, but I’m still getting the crashing.