Cubase freezing after startup

Hello all,
i know Cubase “freezing” for several reasons has been discussed here, but this one is individual, certainly due to my changes/installing new software on my machine recently. So the first time after a reboot, Cubase works as normal, but when i quit Cubase and re-open, it gets stuck (can’t click anything) and “inactive” in the taskmanager (=crashed). So i have to reboot the PC to work in Cubase again. This is since about a week maybe. I tried figuring out what software or plugins i installed (was a bunch recently), de-installed a few, but no luck.
How can i find out what is causing the crash ? I remember there was a crash log saved somewhere - and can i read it somehow ?
Thanks for any hint !
if required: it’s Cubase Pro 11 on a Win10 PC, 32GB Ram, Intel i7 CPU

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Hello Martin, wow that was quick, i’ll try that and upload the file. Thank you !

Hi,

Thank you for the DMP file. What Audio Device do you use, please? To me it looks like an issue with the MIDI driver of the Audio Device.

Hi,

and thank you so much for going into this. The audio device is a UAD Apollo X8 and an Apollo Twin, both via Thunderbolt chain. They never made any troubles of that kind, MIDI goes seperately through a Roland UM-One USB interface. Now that you mention it, i did change my masterkeyboard a week ago too, and another weird thing occurs since then: after a PC reboot or re-open of Cubase, there’s no MIDI coming in (or the keyboard not sending any?), i have to powercycle the masterkeyboard to get MIDI back. Never had this before. The previous keyboard was a Yamaha KX88, now it’s a Roland A90. Maybe the problem of Cubase freezing is related to the new keyboard issue ?

EDIT: i just tried the following - close Cubase, turn the masterkeyboard off, open Cubase - and et voila - it doesn’t freeze. BUT - to make it more complicated, i then left the MK turned on, closed and re-opened Cubase, now it doesn’t freeze either ! So weird…just earlier today i had to do the whole process of rebooting the PC, because Cubase was stuck as usual…strange. Could the MK send any midi message that makes Cubase crash ? Is anything like that visible in the DMP file ?

Hi,

Now, when we are talking about it, it rings a bell… I have a feeling, I have discuss something similar here on the forum already. It was also Roland keyboard. I’m not 100% sure (try to search for the thread, please), but if I remember correctly, the conclusion was, it’s on the Roland’s driver side. And to me, this sounds really similar.

Do you have any MIDI loop by mistake? Some internal routing in Roland? Can you use MIDIO-X to test, what MIDI data does Roland send and receive while starting Cubase? Maybe some kind of hand-shake MIDI messages? I can see Cubase sends a SysEx MIDI message. How is the Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filter setup? Is the SysEx filtered out for the Record and Thru? If not, could you try to enable this option, please?

1 Like

Ok, i installed Midi-OX and monitored the activity on Cubase startup - nothing happens there. I’m not sure if/how i could monitor if Cubase sends any sysex (i did monitor the UM in/output). The Roland Keyboard sends some messages after power on (see pic below) and then only the usual note on/off messages when i press a key. However, now that i opened/closed Cubase a couple of times while the Roland was powered on, Cubase never froze as before. There is no loop-back installed or running to my knowledge, i also checked the midi filters - sysex is filtered on both input and thru. The Midi-Interface never made any trouble for years, since day one. I wonder if/why it would do it now ? I’ll search for the thread you mentioned, too. And thanks again for your help, i’d never thought it could be related to a midi problem. So it seems to work for now, although i didn’t really change anything.
Reminds me of that quantum physics observer effect…it says things can change simply because you’re watching it :slight_smile:
Here is the Midi-OX screen:

Hi,

I don’t understand, why it is working now. :thinking: But I’m glad you sorted it out.

MIDI-OX doesn’t show anything unexpected. Just basic reset data.

I was thinking more in sense of setting on Roland.

Sorry, me neither. I’m using MIDI Monitor app on Mac, where you can set, the MIDI Monitor inspect any MIDI Port.

Hi Martin,

Ahh, i see…i’m not at all familiar yet with all of the new keyboards options, for now it’s just an MK. But, i removed the Midi IN for now, as i don’t need it’s sounds really. Maybe that helps too.

Me too ! I hope it lasts, and if not, i know now where it probably comes from…so thanks a lot again for your help, really appreciated, have a nice evening ! :wink:

By the way, i just wondered if you’re german too ? Maybe we could sort things out easier next time :slight_smile:

Hi,

This might be the reason, why does it work, now. If there was a MIDI loopback, you just cut it.

I was happily living in Germany for 8,5 years. But not anymore.

I cut it just before i wrote it, so it did work before (with loopback, if there was any) :thinking:

Verstehe :slight_smile:
I’ll report here if i found out what it ultimately was…