Cubase IC Pro in a Browser (on all systems, no app needed) but keeps crashing Cubase

Hey there,

not sure if you know it, but you can use Cubase IC Pro on every device by using its browser. The IP and port to use is written in Cubase, device setup->Remote devices (Steinberg SKI Remote) as long as you have the SDK installed. Enter the IP in a device in your network and voilà.
There is no App needed and this als works for Android devices.

If it is such a problem further supporting apps on Android/Apple, why not investing further in a universal system, like this browser based application.

The bad thing about it is, it keeps crashing Cubase multiple times during a session and the GUI and its functions need a complete overhaul.

But if more people are able to narrow down the issue and try this, we might find a solution, and hopefully Steinberg will invest time again in this valuable system.

I believe Steinberg have dropped support the SKI Remote API over the new MIDI Remote API, but would be nice to have some official statement from them.

I use SKI a lot but the behavior is inconsistent and I’m not able to make proper reproduction steps to create the crashes etc.

@saxmand But are these 2 APIs comparable?
Can I hook up a tablet or a PC to the MIDI remote API to see and configure cue mixes or Cubase in general? I don’ t think so…

Yes, an official statement is needed. It is a pity though, as the idea behind the system is awesome, saves thousands and is already there, it just needs a little bit of care.

I think you would need something to go in-between (like TouchOSC or Soundflow), but it would probably be much more setup and also not as easy to have bi-directional.

The MIDI Remote API focus is a bit different than SKI.

Just looked up on Soundflow and TouchOSC, but controlling cue mixes does not seem to be possible with it. Please correct me if Im wrong! In the end I its just important to have something that works.

I think you can do cue send and control room cue sends with the MIDI API.
But as I said it takes much more setup.

And I can’t help you as I’m on Nuendo, so haven’t got the MIDI API yet.

I will look into it when I have more time. But so fare I have not seen a way to represent certain channels of lets say CUE MIX1 and to be able to alter their volume with visual feedback.
Thanks anyway!

I think you would need something to go in-between (like TouchOSC or Soundflow), but it would probably be much more setup and also not as easy to have bi-directional.

The MIDI Remote API focus is a bit different than SKI.

Avid control seems to be the solution! Just did not have enough time to check that out. That is also bidirectional AFAIK.

1 Like