Cubase is removing plugins from inserts when iLok is missing

Hello all

I’m encountering an issue where if I open a session and my iLok is not connected (or if it does not recognise my licenses), then all the plugins that use iLok are automatically removed from the cubase session. If I then close the session without saving, insert my iLok and open it again to try and restore the plugins then those plugins are still missing from the inserts on channels where they were before.

Is anyone else encountering this issue?

Surely Cubase should simply render the plugin inactive, but leave it in the inserts so that plugin settings are saved.

Is there a setting in prefs that I’ve missed that is triggering this behaviour?

Thanks

J

Hello there,

Have you happened to find a solution to this issue? I am currently experiencing this behavior after years of working with an iLok without any problems.

Until now, if a license was missing the plugin would grey out and stop working, then after reconnecting my iLok it would resume working. Now suddenly a missing license results in the plugin getting kicked out of the insert slot. It is very frustrating and i did not find any solutions online.

Thank you
L

1 Like

Also looking for a solution for this. This is very frustrating!

1 Like

Hi,

Is it still the issue with the latest Cubase 13.0.30, please?

1 Like

This is also a big problem for me as well. Same issue. All the tracks that had plugins are now missing where before they would return when reconnecting iLok after not using it.

Mac or Windows? or both?

PS. This is potentially a “project killer” :frowning:

Hi,

Do you have the latest 13.0.30 installed, please? And do you have the latest iLok driver and PACE software installed, please?

hi all - I believe the issue was related to the physical iLok USB key.

It was a while ago, but I gradually moved away from using usb key based iLok licensing and shifted all my licenses to be located on my computer through the iLok License Manager wherever possible.

Also, recently I went and cleared out all my VST2 plugins and am only using VST3 versions where available.

These two steps have resulted in a more stable and predictable Cubase system overall and I am not experiencing missing plugins from sessions, and overall I have less crashes and a faster system.

My current setup is Mac OS X 14.2.1 with Cubase 13.0.30 and latest pace and ilok drivers.

Cheers

Hey,

We’re having this problem at the moment. It seemed to be fixed with Nuendo 12.0.7 but on installing 13.0.3 seems to have returned. If we open a project without a valid license on the iLok, or without the iLok not plugged in, the relevant plugin is completely removed from the project, losing all settings and information for the mix.

This is a bit dangerous for us as we have a team of people and mistakes can happen - if someone accidentally saves the project after opening then some of our work and previous mixes are affected. Is there a way to fix this?

Agreed. This is definitely a bit dangerous. I’m not personally seeing this problem, but I’m bookmarking this thread. This is a potential nightmare scenario, even though we keep backups.

Cubase/Nuendo should gracefully fall back to graying out the plugin 100% of the time, and it should NEVER remove a plugin and its settings unless explicitly asked to.

1 Like