Cubase Keeps Changing Project Length

I have searched this forum and found several [old] posts regarding this - but no definitive fix.

I am setting the project length in the Project Setup Dialog - but Cubase keeps adding several minutes to it during an edit session, and I cannot for the life of me work out why.

Having read previous posts regarding the same issue, I have checked [and double-checked] that there are definitely NO events (notes, automation, tempo changes etc.) beyond the length I set - yet Cubase still insists on making the project longer [seemingly at random - at least I cannot work out any pattern to its decision-making].

Bearing in mind the checks I have already made, does anyone know why this keeps happening and whether there is a way to stop it?

This keeps happening to me as well. It’s super frustrating… I suddenly lose the zoom resolution and find the project duration has changed, reset the project duration back to 2 hours, then within moments it pops back to over a day in length and can’t zoom in on the waveforms again.
On the latest release of Cubase 12 Pro, Mac OS 12.6.3.

Similar problem here.

Same here! I adjust the time to for example 00:05:45:00 save & close the project and when i open it again the duration is back to 01:45:01:00.
I can’t figure out why.
It is anoying!
Solution please…

I used to have the same problem, and it turned out to be an event close to the time that the project always snapped back to.

In my case, it was a stray marker on the marker track. You may have to make the marker track visible.

To quickly go to the end of the project, there’s a menu item:
Transport > Transport Commands > Go to Project End

Once I deleted that, this problem went away.

If it’s not a marker track event, I would also check the tempo track, the chord track and all of the other special purpose tracks in Cubase, just in case …

And finally: if you create projects from a template, ensure that this extra event (marker or whatever) is NOT present in the template.

1 Like

Same issue here.

If I use ‘Go to Project End’ it would go to the point I indicated as the project duration, but the rest of the timeline remains active, which is rather annoying navigation-wise. I’d be expecting the view would lock into the project length range and when I zoom all the way out, I’d see my session only and not an hour of emptiness.

Update: Project Duration does work after all, as expected, only it disregarded that my Project Start Time was set to 01:00:00:00 Timecode and I had to put the duration an hour earlier.

I find this still randomly adds 10 hours or so out of the blue, even with the project not extending that far.