Cubase LE 5 input monitoring options

Hi all -

I’ve got an Alesis Multimix 16 Firewire board hooked up to a Macbook Pro running Mountalin Lion, using Cubase LE 5 to record. I’m trying to figure out what my options are for monitoring input through Cubase.

For a reason I’m not sure about yet, Cubase believes that ASIO direct monitoring is not available. I don’t know whether this is due to the limitations of my board, my OS or computer, or some combination of those. Without ASIO direct monitoring, as far as I can tell, the only way to see the input levels in Cubase while recording is to activate the monitoring button for the input channel. But as the manual makes perfectly clear, there’s unavoidable latency in that method. In the absence of ASIO direct monitoring, I much prefer monitoring via the board, but then I get no levels.

If I remember correctly, in my previous configuration (Snow Leopard + Cubase LE 1), I was able to get input levels without any latency - I don’t know if this was a result of ASIO direct monitoring being available in that configuration, or Cubase LE 1 doing something slightly different with its monitoring controls.

I’ve posted a question on the Alesis community forum to see if there are any possible device issues. Is there something that I’m missing about Cubase LE 5 and input level monitoring?

Thanks in advance.