Cubase LE5 and Mackie 2404-VLZ3

Hi all,
I’m new to the forum, but hoping you can help me out with this, as I’ve tried everything I can think of. I have my Mackie 2404-VLZ3 connected to my PC via USB, with USB input from the PC routed through channel 23/24 on the board. Playback from Windows Media Player, Quicktime, etc. is fine, but playback through Cubase is severely distorted even with the channel gain turned way down. I’ve tried lowering the master output volume from Cubase, since the sound that is getting through seems very over driven, but that made no difference.

Playback from Cubase through my Tascam 1800 interface is fine (not hooked up at the same time), it’s just when I switch the output to the Mackie that there is an issue. I know it’s not the board, since audio sent to the board from any other media player sounds great. It’s just when I open Cubase and try to play a pre-recorded track from within Cubase that I have an issue.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!!
Jake

Are you going through the ASIO or WDM drivers to the Mackie board?

I’m using the Mackie ASIO driver when connecting to the Mackie board, and the Tascam 1800 ASIO driver when connecting to the Tascam.

I think there is a board/drive interface setup issue there rather than a cubase issue per se although it is almost impossible to diagnose with this little information. However since as you say it works correctly with the WDM (normal windows audio) drivers you can download the ASIO4ALL drivers, they place the windows drivers into bit-perfect mode and bridge them to AISO allowing Cubase to work with the non-ASIO drivers. Should be an acceptable temporary solution while you track down the real issue since there is only a minor latency difference and no quality difference so you can use the board without distortion.