Cubase licence backwards compatibility

Could somebody in the know confirm about licence backwards compatibility in 2022 before I install Elements 10 on my Mac, as I don’t want to be stuck with trial software that I can’t use after 30 days, and then have to uninstall it.

I’m running Mojave which is why I want Elements 10. I can’t find anywhere to buy Elements 10 anymore, can I buy Elements 10.5 or 11 or 12, and use that licence to activate the copy of 10 I downloaded from Steinberg’s website?

Thanks in advance.

Read this to be sure you get correct info: New Steinberg Licensing FAQ | Steinberg

Thank you. I did read that but must’ve missed the section about licensing specific to my question. So if I understand that correctly, as a new customer, I cannot buy Elements 12 and expect that licence to work with anything below version 12.

Am I to assume that if I can find and purchase a retail version of 11, that licence will work with versions below 11?

Yes, I’m afraid so.

That’s correct

Amazing, cheers. I don’t need version 12 at my level.

But- You would have to find someone selling a used license on a USB key.

The Steinberg policy is to grant a license to the latest version when someone enters a DAC or Download Access Code. That’s what you get when you buy a new retail version. In other words you will not get a license that works with all previous Cubase versions unless you have a USB key with a Cubase 11 Pro license on it.

I understand that Elements does not use the USB dongle licence system. The licence for Elements is purely software-based.

Elements can use the USB eLicenser, but default is Soft-eLicenser.

Hi,

You cannot resell Soft-eLicense. You can only reactivate it in the given MySteinberg account to other computer. That’s the reason, why…

Thanks, that’s what I understand.

just to clarify…