Cubase losing preferences

It happened to me and other users after installing one of the latest 10.5.x updates (there’s a thread about it). The solution was deleting or renaming the Defaults.xml file, so Cubase recreates it from scratch. Not ideal, but it worked.

That’s why I back up daily, it would take me hours to re-create everything…

Do you put your PC into “sleep” mode or just turn off the monitors?

I use the screen saver, but I turn them off manually when I will be away, and never let then sleep, or hybernate

This is such an annoying, time wasting issue. For goodness sake Steinberg, please allocate some time to these things. I think most users would categorize this one as critical.

EVERY time I use Cubase, my custom preference preset has to be reloaded, because my custom color scheme is not being loaded at startup. Very annoying.

I have the same problem and I wanted to write a topic My version is 10.5.20 build 179 Cubase pro , Win 10
My problem is the audio input, output ports. I have many inputs and outputs
Every time I set it up again, knowing that I save it as a preset
However, when loading the preset, each input , output must be reactivated by choosing the name of the audio device
I even saved it as a template
When running the template, there were no settings for my audio device ??
Really annoying thing

Everytime I change something in preferences I re-save the preference preset.

with cubase you gotta learn and memorize a lot of workarounds and precautions and do ctrl+S constantly even with auto-save on

This is actually annoying me so much now I’m beginning to consider changing DAW.

I wouldn’t go that far, but is VERY annoying! I was hoping with the new boot prompt introduced in 10.5.20 that this would help, but I still lose preferences regularly. Thank god for Acronis True Image and my daily backups!

I have setup key commands in windows to run batch backup and restore xcopy commands for the various preference/preset files that are important. This makes it a lot quicker/easier to recover when Cubase misbehaves. It’s such a basic operation for an application to get right though, and it’s something that has been a problem for years and still hasn’t been fixed. So I think users who invest in Cubase, and faithfully upgrade every year have every right to be annoyed about it. Its not the only issue that has been ongoing for years and still not properly addressed.

Hey all,

Hate to kick up an old thread here, but just seeing if some the folks on this older thread ever found a solution to this, or got to the root of the problem. This is brand new for me, I can’t imagine that I’ve done anything to make Cubase behave like this. I haven’t installed any new software (that I know of) and I haven’t reinstalled Cubase or anything like that…

How did you guys get to the bottom of this?

1 Like

yeah… i have put a lot of time into learning cubase and i really like it but there are all these little issues it has.

just now it seems to have deleted my preferences and key command presets. they’re gone. the program crashed and now it seems to have reset to the default preferences, i searched mine in the folders and neither key commands or my main preferences are there. my main file template still exists.

so now i have to redo all the key commands and fix all the little preferences. i mean its not the end of the world but this janky and really just bizarre. how do i know this won’t just happen again in the future? i mean… sounds like other people have had the same problem too. having to remake key commands is actually a pretty significant pain in the behind.

luckily i made my own text file in windows notepad to help keep track of a lot of different commands i made so i can just go through that for half an hour inputing them before i get back to making music. sounds like fun.

not to trash cubase, some of the features are excellent which is why I’ve committed to it. but this kind of thing is really irritating and i’d be lying if i said otherwise.

it was my fault, folks. shameful.

long story short: changing PROFILES in the PROFILE EDITOR on the EDIT TAB on the windows bar is what caused my preferences to be removed.

at least it’s sorted now, and after I remade my preferences my color scheme looks cooler. nice! one of my favorite things about cubase is the color schemes for your interface.

it’s the last days i have to deal even with keyboard shortcuts in almost every time i close it…indeed is very frustrating :frowning: i feel lucky that i have only a few tings i have changed, i wonder how other people are dealing that have made tonz of changes.

I use Cubase 12 Pro Win 10 for my main production platform. I’m scoring a feature film and again I’ve lost all prefs and have to rescan my plugins twice in 3 days. I am also mixing a big band album with strings in Pro Tools 2023.3 and have PT open for days at a time. Not one problem. It feels familiar in some way, but I’m yet to put my finger on it.

Create a profile in the profile manager. Export it to your documents folder. When this happens to me, I just import that profile and all prefs/ key commands are reset to mine.