Cubase / Mac Lion / Mbox2 work or no?

Hi. I’ve just about had it with ProTools. Upgraded PT8 to PT9 and Snow Leopard to Lion all in one shot and now I’m being told that the audio drivers which allow things like standalone virtual instruments and Garage Band are incompatible with Lion. I can run PT9 with functioning VIs through the Mbox2, but that’s it. If I try to run GB or any VI in standalone mode, they just bounce eternally and never open.

So, my questions are:

1. Will Cubase 6.5.1 run on Mac OSX 10.7.3?
  2. Can I use my Mbox2 with Cubase? Are Lion audio drivers included with Cubase that will work with my Mbox2 as my audio interface for Cubase?
  3. Can I successfully run all my virtual synths in Cubase?

Any help appreciated :slight_smile:

I’m not a mac user, but here goes:

Product page specifies that Cubase 6.5 is compatible with Mac OS 10.6/10.7

According to the product page, the interface must be CoreAudio compatible.

Cubase does not come with any drivers. It relies on drivers provided my the hardware manufacturer. If Avid doesn’t have a standalone driver for Lion, it won’t work. Sounds like Avid dropped support for the Mbox2 (since the 3rd generation is out).

Depends on the plugin. Cubase uses VST plugins. If they’re not VST format, they won’t run.
However, Cubase comes with a weath of included plugins of its own.

Thanks for the input. I’m trying to find a solution that is not as proprietary as ProTools. I love ProTools, but the fact that every time the OS is upgraded, they force you to buy another version AND the fact that their audio interfaces double as hardware dongles forcing you to use their hardware is just bs.

I believe all my plugins are VST capable.

In that light, can you recommend some good audio interfaces that work well with Cubase please?

Thanks.

I really didn’t do that much comparison before I purchased by interface, so I may not be all that helpful here.

As for working well with Cubase?

I’d take a look at the Steinberg CI series of interfaces. They’d be comparable to the Mbox.
And no, they are not proprietary to Cubase. They can be used with most any DAW.

Running Cubase 6.5.0 on Lion 10.7.3 and it is absolutely wonderful as for your interface, take a look at MOTU, they seem to have the best selection and variety of input output choices.

Funny you mentioned MOTU. I ordered an Audio Express for purposes of replacing the MBox2 which, up to recently, wasn’t working outside ProTools with other audio applications. The Audio Express has been RMA’d, since it seemed after 2 weeks of troubleshooting with MOTU that it was faulty.

During that time I ran across an article that gave me the fix for my dock-bouncing applications post-Lion upgrade. Now I’m back to using my MBox2, PT9, Garageband and all my other software instruments all work fine both in PT as plugin, and as standalone, all under Lion.