Cubase native ability to create a third instrument by "Morphing" two other instruments?

Hi :slight_smile:

For example a violin audio track and a xylophone audio track morphed together to form an instance of an imaginary/non-existent third instrument … is there a native tool in Cubase Pro 11 (or 12) that can do that kind of thing?

(If not … does anyone do that sort of thing using a 64-bit 3rd- party app?)

Thanks in advance for any pointers!

You could create two VSTs and route the outputs to a group track, then mix and morph using automation, for example. Other people probably have other ways to accomplish this too.

Thanks, that would sound cool indeed!

I think I’m looking for something above and beyond though. I might call what you described as layering, and what I’m looking for is morphing, along the lines of Modartt PianoTeq 7’s morphing engine that goes above and beyond layering (which they also offer).

Unfortunately PianoTeq’s morphing engine is limited to the instruments they offer - i.e., i can’t apply the morphing engine to my own VSTi sounds.

I guess Cubase doesn’t have anything like that. I’ll go off and look at third party options.

Or maybe better to learn how to create my own sounds in the sample track … way out of my league, I’m afraid, but i keep thinking about it!

Thanks again, @steve !

You’re welcome. I think it could only happen in a VST on the sample level.

“morphing” is unfortunately a pretty undefined process.

For a particular synth engine, it might make sense, as you essentially sweep parameters in the engine between their “A” and “B” settings, as if you had 28 hands and turned all the knobs at the same time.

However, for random different software synths, that can’t work, as they have different kinds and sets of “knobs.” You might be able to get interesting effects using something like side chaining into a vocoder to try to imprint the sonic signature of one instrument onto another, but, mathematically speaking, there exists no general-purpose “instrument morphing” function.

If vocode morphing is what you want, try something like OVox, or wire it up in Reaktor. (Warning: patience required!)

2 Likes

This one seems at least partially there …