Cubase Navigation is the worst!

thanks.

you may like this one i just made – i’m sick of setting up locators on the timeline. this script allows me to set the L and R locators with the mouse and a modifier key without having to move the mouse cursor / while keeping my hand on the keyboard and mouse respectively (basically i’ve relegated all navigation - related tasks to the mouse + a modifier key). i added a vertical line ‘crosshair’ for easier orientation. note that in the video while i’m in the process of setting up the locator, i can focus the vertical crosshair first (switch snap on or off while i’m ‘holding’ the vertical line), and only settle on the locator position when i am sure i have focused it to where i need it.

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=30hy3nr>&s=8#.VOoPV_mjO3E

For a GUI on any software, keyboard shortcuts can often outperform using a mouse, as keys can be typed ahead due to the presence of a keyboard buffer, whereas when using a mouse, you have to wait until a control or dialog is displayed before it can respond, which can really slow one down at times.

Notwithstanding that:
a) To be useful, there must be key commands for EVERYTHING that can be done with a mouse.
b) A mouse can short-circuit a lot of tedious key navigation.

I prefer that there be full duplication of key and mouse commands, as then I can remain using one method, rather than incidentally changing to the other, which can be a real impediment to thought workflow.

I understand you, I agree with that.

+1 great idea.

But I personally prefer the use of many key commands over the use of the mouse! More than ever in In these computer-based times.
(maybe it´s a little bit more “hardware feeling” for me + my “Repetitive Strain Injury Syndrom”…)

For this particular purpose I use macro assigned to the knob of this mouse Getting started - Wireless Gaming Mouse G700 – Logitech Support + Download

Macros changes tool to Range Selection, then Locate Selection and back to Object Selection tool. it’s very handy, if you don’t have another selected range to work with, because you’ll lose your selection. And of course it’s a workaround and in general I agree with you that there is a lot to do for SB with navigation in Cubase.

I’m happy to see more people are voicing their concern about the Navigation in cubase. Although I’m new to cubase, I wouldn’t even bother starting this thread if I wasn’t genuinely invested in making cubase the best it can be. And for the hardcore fans who like it just the way it is, don’t defend the old just because “that’s the way it’s always been”… when cubase came out people were still editing with a razor and waiting a whole minute to rewind to the beginning of the track. Since then a lot of CHANGE has happened and at the time not everyone was onboard. You can make any kind of record with any DAW today. Why not raise the bar? Why wouldn’t Steinberg want to make a better product? THE BEST PRODUCT?

Take the automation for example… if you drag a selection in an area without any automation points 99% of the time is because you want to change the parameter value in that area. Of course cubase can’t “think” to save its life so here come “Dancing with the tools” when ProTools can do everything instantly with one single drag and click! I don’t expect you always to innovate Steinberg. Someone else already did some of the dirty work and they did it much better than you. Just copy it already!!! I feel like I’m the only one that can see that the emperor is naked!

Anyway… I have little faith that a company as big as Steinberg with a 20-something year old program will suddenly pay attention to something like this. It is so obvious to me that it should have been looked at a decade ago… And its a real shame… a tragedy as a matter of fact… hey, at least we got 4 simultaneous Drum agents in Groove Agent 4. Hooray!

Messiah -syra,

Thank you for your exalted wisdom, gathered from experiences with another product that somehow hasn’t kept your attention away from spreading your voluminous and sanctimonious criticism of this product here.

Some of us here may remember when Apple took over eMagic 10 years ago and promptly jettisoned all PC users of Logic. These forums were inundated with 1,000s of Logic Messiahs, proffering ‘improvements’ based on Logic after 5 minutes use of Cubase. What a PITA they were. Arrogant and full of similar homilies about ‘helping’ while whinging continuously. Like a swarm of blowflies – all noise and disruptive nuisances.

Cubase has different usage paradigms to other DAWs, just as they differ from each other, not surprising considering they are probably the most complex prosumer programs one will come across. It is a fool that expects Cubase to use the same paradigms as the DAW they have spent years learning.

While you show such arrogant disrespect for the product, its developers, and your fellow forum dwellers, you really don’t deserve any yourself!

If you have suggestions for improvement, there is the Feature Requests and Suggestions area, where you can make structured suggestions, without the attitude, to your heart’s content.

[quote=“Patanjali”]Messiah -syra,

Some of us here may remember when Apple took over eMagic 10 years ago and promptly jettisoned all PC users of Logic. These forums were inundated with 1,000s of Logic Messiahs, proffering ‘improvements’ based on Logic after 5 minutes use of Cubase. What a PITA they were. Arrogant and full of similar homilies about ‘helping’ while whinging continuously. Like a swarm of blowflies – all noise and disruptive nuisances.

Hi all

To lighten the mood slightly I was one of the poor Windows Logic users who changed to Cubase and it took me months to get used to it and continually saying “why doesn’t it do this that or the other” but eventually I did get used to it and enjoyed all the things Logic DIDN’T do. It’s kinda heartening that Cubase seems to have gone forward a little faster and further than Logic (kinda guessing and hearsay on my part though)and I’m happy where I am. I hear a lot (from youngsters in particular) that this DAW is better than that one, but I’m quite sure great results can be got from any of them… In a quarter the time it used to take with tape…just an observation. I also think it’s really worth having a look at what LukasinBrooklyn is doing. Clever stuff but something we could all do with a bit of work☺ And there’s always something that could be better… And the grass is greener…

Best Regards

Dave

@ -syra:
I´m not a big fan of any mouse wheel zoom, magnifying glass tool, or everlasting G+H´s (…) when it comes to daw navigation…
Here´s a selection of my most widely used key commands:

1. Macro:
    “Zoom - Zoom Tracks Full”
    +“Zoom - Zoom Full”

(these macro shows the complete arrange at a glance with one click)

1. "Show Used Automation (selected Tracks) vs.
  2. “Hide All Automation”
    (I use both interchangeably, very fast workflow)

1. “Zoom to selection” (Alt+S)

e.g.

i use those as well. the one that is needed to complement ‘alt + s’ is the ‘undo zoom’ command. → super fast navigation.

having said that, mouse zooming is handy too and many people prefer it so no reason not to fulfill their wishes. :slight_smile:

you’re right, lucasbrooklyn - so, I agree! :smiley:

I use all of those everyday as well. But, let us not forget about the locators.
Becoming fluent with the key commands that move the locators is a must.
Many of the software’s functions are based on where the locators are placed.
Setting the left locator and snapping the cursor to it quickly is crucial.
Those key commands are so burnt into my workflow that I never even have to think about it.

I also use multiple Marker Tracks at times. One button gets me where I need to be fast.
(This might be a Nuendo exclusive feature, I’m not sure)

Hmmm…Maybe you need to invest in Nuendo, with it’s “Edit Mode.”
I’ve never used it myself…Never needed it.

How about this doozy: for range select, you have to COUNT the tracks that are visible, and tell cubase which “Visible” track you want. Doesn’t matter if you are zoomed in right on track 102, and the little number tells you so. Cubase insists it’s visible track 24 if you want to use range select.

I have to agree, but I’ve never found a way of scrolling the L+R Locators back or forth, from the keyboard (like using a modifier and the Left/Right arrow keys for example), to some arbitrary place. I know about CRTL+click and ALT+click in the Timeline to set positions - but that uses the mouse…! How do you set L+R locator without using mouse at all…? I’m stuck… Is it right there in front of my eyes and I can’t see it…!?! :open_mouth:

Thanks,
Bob

PS:- multiple marker tracks are a Nuendo only feature, as I recall.

you can set up a kc to set the L, and the R locators, respectivelly.

there’s a kc to move the locators both at the same time, according to the quantize settings. (ie, if quantize is 1 bar, both L and R will shift by 1 bar to the left or right).

i got used to my own method as show before ( http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=30hy3nr>&s=8#.VOoPV_mjO3E )

Independently of setting any position of the cursor, first…? Really…? That would be good; please tell how to…! Though, do you just mean the KC’s to access the L+R Locator position boxes in the Transport Panel by any chance (and then keying in some data points, bars/timcode)…? Or, CTRL+NUM1 or NUM2 - which both depend on setting the position of the cursor first (which means using the mouse. In the Timeline.) That’s not what I’m after…

Thanks, that’s an interesting one

Yes, your method is good - at least you are seemingly setting the position of the cursor with the mouse, from anywhere in the Arrange window (as part of a macro…?), then firing a KC for the Locator to move. As opposed to having to constantly move up and click a new position in the Timeline…

I would just like to have a direct ‘handle’ attached to each L+R edge locator somehow, from just the keyboard - no mouse intervention, no cursor positioning, at all…!! IMHO, all the present stuff is good and useful, but to be even more useful, there needs to be that further, separate break, from their dependency on the cursors whereabouts.

unfortunately the native kc’s relate to the project cursor position, sorry if i led you to believe otherwise; it’s the reason i programmed my script, to set the locators to the mouse cursor position instead, instantly (much like you’re requesting).

Ah…! That’s ok; no worries… :slight_smile:

That script of yours, tying to mouse position, is truly, a very neat and wonderful thing indeed… I should take the time to study what you’ve done/explained, see if I can replicate here. Thanks lukas, for posting.

unfortunately the script is tied to what vertical position cubase’s timeline is on my system (relates to screen resolution, DPI, window border size settings of the OS etc.). that’s why i can try compiling it for you but it’s likely not going to work and is just too much trouble. i’m lightning fast thanks to these hacks but really, steinberg ought to make these native. i’m a freak in this regard.

I have to agree… cubase’s mouse navigation is horrrrrrible… (having come from reaper) where navigation is quick and easy, it makes editing feel slow & clunky in cubase. Sad to find there isnt much in the way of customization either in cubase to make it work the way I want. I was hoping to switch to cubase 8, but so far reaper is just faster & 1000x more reliable.

Reapers scroll wheel and horizontal zoom, is super slick & very quick to get just where i need to be & edit anything in seconds…
Cubase… i need to scroll with either shift or ctrl or alt… and then if you get the wrong one you have to mess around and undo stuff, just so counter intuitive.

Cubase 8 pro is currently fine for me doing single projects (1 song)
For Large live recordings where lots of editing and multiple region exports are required, reaper totally wipes the floor with it, saves hours of work…
In cubase i would be sat at a pc for 5-6 hours editing, faffing with crappy mouse gestures/exporting each 1 by one… Reaper, maybe 2 hours editing, then out for lunch while reaper does the exports in batch.

Yes Patanjali, I’m a fool to expect cubase to use the same paradigms as the DAW I have spent years learning. Even if those years amount to 10 minutes. Yep. That’s how long I’ve been using Logic before I write you this very response. I LITERALLY just bought it. You see, my comments before about how Logic is so much smarter than Cubase come from a meeting I had last week when I invited a friend/Logic guru to my place for a quick comparison since I was excited to crush him with all the super cool features Cubase has. Guess what happened. Logic can do 90% of it and it is actually SMART! So kudos on your paradigms theory bla bla bla, but I have news for you… better is not different. IT IS BETTER.

I have attached a video here showing you what I have just learned to do with one hand in 10 minutes in Logic while I’m holding a cup of coffee with the other one. No special commands or macros. ONE smart tool straight out of the box. And of course more importantly, the playhead will start from anywhere I place the cursor inside the waveform. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/535020/Logic%20Smart%20Tool.mov

Thank you for that link. I don’t do “Transparent” on things I want to bring attention to. And for the record, I have very little faith that Steinberg will do anything about this… I’m sure they are reading this thread now thinking “what is he talking about? It is just so perfect already. We have a tool for everything!” … … reminds me of when I contacted Ableton and asked them why you can’t edit audio in raw form and it can only be done in warp mode… their response was “why would you ever want to edit audio in raw mode?” … … … no comment.