Cubase not use all CPU

Well I’m not really sure why yours does that because what you see on my computer is how it is supposed to do and how it will do on most computers.

I guess I’ve just been lucky with my last 3 or 4 computers that all did that then :laughing:

Could it be that I always have core parking disabled? That’s about all I can think of. :question:

Shouldn’t have anything to do with core parking. Core parking is also known as the C6 sleep state and allows the system to automatically disable any core completely when not used to save power.

This discussion is quite interesting btw. and I hope we can figure out what’s going on and what causes your specific Windows to not do core load roating thing.

Edit: Did some investigation and while I’m not sure exactly what settings you have changed in Windows or in the BIOS to prevent the core shifting to happen here is a few reasons to why the core shifting is actually a good thing.

Spreading one thread across all cores allows for a lower power consumption. Most processors lower their frequencies and, more importantly, voltage according to load, so a quad core, for example, will consume a lot less power and produce less heat by spreading one thread across all 4 cores rather than using one core (which would lead to the voltage increasing across ALL cores, since there’s only one voltage regulator* - that’s pretty ineffective).

It ensures that the thread always runs at maximum/constant speed. If the thread suddenly requests more processing power, one core could become overloaded and there will be a delay in the execution. By spreading it across cores, any sudden spike will be handled smoothly without lags and delays.

Ehh what Grim is showing is what I see, and what I always have seen
Running a single thread Super PI benchmark should also only show One core with Full load. That core will shift, but only One core will be Maxed out.
It would not make sense that Win10 now somehow would show a average of a single thread load between cores.
I just tested to be sure that there wasn’t a bug introduced that would show these wrong figures, but everything is normal here.
Spreading the load in Cubase using more tracks and therefore more threads is still a valid way of getting the most out of your computer.
Reaper is the only Daw that to my knowledge can use more threads pr. track.

The core shift happens several times per second, so it makes sense that Task Manager only showing the average as it is not updating fast enough. Sure if you could have it to update many times a second you would see 100% core load that shifts between the cores but as it is updating too slow it is just showing an average of the load happened since last graph update. HWmonitor are actually faster than Task Manager and are showing this somewhat better, but still not quite fast enough to actually show 100% on a single core before it is shifted to next core.

I don’t think any DAW including Reaper will use more than 1 thread per track. Reason being that on same track the workload is sequential and cannot be in parallel. For example the second plugin on a track needs to wait for the first plugin to finish processing before it can begin and thus there is no benefit in using another thread as it would still have to wait for the 1st plugin and cannot be processed at the same time anyway.

No that is not how it works.

Yes it is. Ask on any Computer Tech/hardware forum and you will get the same answer about Windows Shifting the core load.

A single thread can only be processed by one logical core. If you max out one logical core you will get dropouts. Core ‘shifting’ is irrelevant.
Reaper can spawn a new thread for each plugin even on the same track, that also has it’s drawbacks but provides better load spread.
Doing this manually by using more tracks is still recommended.

Correct, but the discussion was about why Task Manager doesn’t show 1 core fully loaded when clearly you are maxing out a single thread, and that is because of core shifting. No one has said anything about a single thread to be processed by more than 1 core, but that a single thread will show load on all cores because of core shifting.
To put it simple, with a single thread fully maxed out the task manager will normally show the following load approx…

1 Core/1 Thread CPU = 100% load
2 cores/2 Threads = 50% load on each logical core give or take
4 cores/4 Threads = 25% load on each logical core give or take
And so on.