Cubase on Atari ST

That was it, Mike Hunter… I always thought it was a euphemism :laughing:

Just sitting here having my breakfast thinking about the old days and Atari with Cubase.

I remember that it was said that cubase scanned the midi from top to bottom and it was best to put critical timing parts at the top like, kik, bass then other rhythm followed by keyboard. Anyone else ever heard of that?

oh, yeah … :sunglasses: I think it was even in the (well written) manual, written by Ernst Nathorst-Böös who then went along and started Propellerhead and the rest is as they say history. :wink:

Wow what a memory prod … remembering all this stuff is suddenly bringing home how old I am! LOL

My biggest rush moment was early in the game trying to edit in the list editor of Pro 24, to fix a bodged performance. I got all confused about what was what, and inserted, moved, deleted some notes … er … saved and played it back. Instead of what I expected I got something soooo much better! I couldn’t believe it … never had many happy accidents on a multitrack tape machine!

Still relying on them to this day !!
:smiley:

Lee

Yup. :slight_smile:

Mind you the Midi Timing of many hardware modules in multitimbral mode was dreadful. Made Cuabse midi tight as a duck’s geranium.

Happy memories of Choke … SPLARTTTT orchestral breaks when my Roland D110 went into overload. Piano with sustain pedal left on too long was fun too.

i knew it wouldn’t be long :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Steinberg-MIDEX-Atari-/220730294301?pt=Midi_Controllers&hash=item33648d001d#ht_500wt_1156

freq

I know it’s not Cubase-related, but I started on an Apple IIe machine with twin floppy drives running a sequencer that I think was called Passport… this was about 1986 or so.

I still remember the day I walked into my local music store and the owner told me “In the future we’ll all be doing all of our recording on home computers” and I said “Oh bullshit!” but boy was I wrong about that one!

Thats interesting, never realised they did a basic midex without smpte.

yep thats the one i had , i never found a use for smpte in the early days ! :astonished:

regards
john

and one of these like beauti’s

the microdeal replay 16 ,16 bit mono sampler for the atari and if you had 4meg loaded it was one good sampler as you could asign any sample any length across your keyboard

these were made by microdeal in bedfordshire i bought 3 of them at a cost of £100 each if i remember rightly , the trigger action was a bit slow but if you used delay on the tracks they worked well :laughing:

Here’s a pic of the FDI box that gave the Falcon digital audio in/out…

Also, did anyone else use the Avalon sample editor or any of the Synthworks software?

:nerd:

me too! Still got it.

first attemps with midi
a second hand ST with floppy’s and a grey/ green monitorscreen.
Still hear the metronome beep. :nerd:

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewforum.php?f=58&sid=9cea9044f09841f85020f2ece2714383

still going strong !

I only glanced at that but it appears it is inhabited solely by one “lotek_style” guy… kind of like the last human being on earth wandering the empty streets which were once upon a time vibrant and bustling with activity :smiley:

Can you get 64bit drivers for it?

What was the name of the little Steinberg SMPTE box that plugged into the back (printer port I think) of the Atari ST…Was it the original Timelock? I had one of those, to lock Cubase to analogue tape. Very good too. Before that I had a Nomad SMC-1 but that could only manage one tempo - it just converted SMPTE to MIDI clock with SPP…

Later I got a SMP 24 - now that was a beast. Never was able to decipher the instructions but it was pretty reliable for SMPTE sync and had 4 (four!!) MIDI outputs!!! It used to run hot enough to fry an egg on…

WOW!

THAT took me ALL the way back!

:slight_smile:

It was an XRI Systems XR300 for me - and it’s still in my rack.