Cubase on multiple PCs?

I run and use Cubase 6.5 on my main studio PC with the USB dongle thing. Am I able to install and run it on my laptop PC too? How would this work with the licence key and USB dongle? I’m not looking to run them both concurrently, just want to be able to use Cubase on my laptop when I’m out of the studio.

Cheers!

Wow 6.5 is pretty old, if you’ve got the installation software great - if not you’ll need to ask Steinberg to send it to you from your My Steinberg account. But yeah you can do this. Just install it on the other PC. Now Cubase will run on whichever machine has the dongle plugged into it. The dongle is what authorizes Cubase to run on a machine.

Yeah, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it :slight_smile:

I have the installers. I guess there’s no way to have multiple dongles for one licence? And is there any plan to move on from the dongle system…?

My current dongle (which I’ve had for almost 10 years!) is actually cracked and a bit damaged from having been knocked a few times, although it still works. How easy is it to request a replacement?

Rumor has it that there is a dongle-less licensing capability in the works, but that rumor has been around for awhile, so…

It is always a good idea to have a backup dongle (or two) especially if you have a damaged one. Plus the newer ones typically launch Cubase faster - which you may or may not notice depending on Project sizes. Generally you can buy a new one from any music retailer that sells Cubase or from the Steinberg online store. There was a shortage last year, but I think that’s passed.