Cubase Performance Issues w/ Multi-Monitors, Windows 11

Hello,
I just switched from a single 4k monitor to a multi-monitor setup and started having performance issues and bugs.

I am using Windows 11 with a Ryzen 5800x and a 3060ti.

• Cubases hangs for about 20 seconds any time I use the timewarp tool.
  • If I open a non-cubase application while a video is playing I will have audio and video glitching followed by my midi keyboard disconnecting (it is still powered, but disconnected from Cubase somehow).
  • If I full-screen a video in my 2nd monitor the framerate drops significantly as if my computer is struggling to play the video.

There are several other visual and performance glitches that all seem to make me think my computer is about to explode but my CPU useage is only about 30%.

Thanks!

• It might be useful to mention which Cubase version you are using. The version number, and also whether it is Pro, elements, …
  • Is your midi keyboard connected via usb, or via midi-cables ? I suspect you use usb, in which case I think maybe the usb port is resetting as a result of the performance issues. In that case you have to restart Cubase to make it recognize the usb connection again. Similar to how I have to power on my synth BEFORE I start Cubase, otherwise it won’t work.
  • I don’t know about the performance issues with multi-monitor setup. I have no problems with my dual-monitor setup, but they are lower resolution monitors.

FWIW, I’m running Cubase 12 on Windows 11 with a 12th generation Intel i7, driving three 4K monitors with only the GPU that’s built into that CPU, and I have zero problems with video or audio. So my guess is that there may be something else happening, esp. since you seem to be using a dedicated GPU card which (in theory) should give you even more graphics horsepower than I have?

I’d start by making sure you’ve got the very latest graphics and audio drivers. Other than that, perhaps somebody with a setup more similar to yours has more specific tips. Good luck sorting this out!

1 Like

Thanks!
Im using the latest version of Cubase 12 Pro (12.0.52).

Yes, I believe my USB port is resetting!

I did try setting all my screens to the same refresh rate but that did not help.

Update:

• I changed the resultion of my 2nd monitor from 4k to 1440p. Now the film plays without any visual glitches and at full FPS. I guess I can’t fullscreen a video in 4k?

• The time-warp freezing issue is related to how long my film is. If my film clip is roughly 45 seconds, there is no freezing. Any longer and it still hangs for 20 seconds.

I still find it hard to believe that my fantastic PC can’t handle Cubase. I must have a serious bottleneck in the software. Is there some optimizations / settings I can choose for better performance?

Try this.

1 Like

Thanks, this helped several of my issues!

• I am no longer freezing when opening certain plugins.
  • I can open other applications while my video is playing and my USB ports don’t reset.
  • My general performance with visual elements has improved I believe.

I am still struggling with terrible hanging when using the time warp tool. Every time I click and drag I get the beachball for about 20 seconds unless my video clip is about 1 minute or less.
Any further help would be greatly appreciated!

I would download and run Latency Monitor .

It should show which driver is causing the hangup during warp.

1 Like

“nvlddmkm.sys - Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 527.56”
“Kernel Mode Driver Framework Runtime”

Looks like it’s my powerful GPU somehow?
Everything in LatencyMon was nominal until I used the timewarp tool.

This is my LatencyMon when idling in a project with a couple of instruments loaded. Both Kernels are still showing as a slight issue.

Finally, this is my LatencyMon when playing a video

Could this be at all related to the fact that my interface is daisy chained to a powered hub and not directly plugged in?

I would definitely remove the interface daisy chain and try the interface connected directly to eliminate this possibility. If this is not the issue and you have no reason to suspect the video card itself, I would look at video driver issues. Delete all video drivers and reinstall the correct 3080 driver. Get the latest from Nvidia. There is a utility called DDU that will remove ALL video drivers.

I tried directly plugging in my interface instead of using the powered daisy chain.
There was a minimal difference in overall latency. I will keep this configuration for obvious reasons but it made no change to my issues.

I had an epiphony and disabled G-Sync on my new monitor. This completely solved the issue of plugins freezing my session! Hopefully another wayward gamer finds this thread.

However, LatencyMon is still telling me that “nvlddmkm.sys - Nvidia Windows Kernel Mode Driver” is giving me issues.
Timewarp is still freezing.

I have reinstalled my nvidia drivers but I have not tried the complete DDU wipe yet because I’m in the middle of a project and that is a bit scary for me right now haha. If there are no other ideas I will try that.

FWIW I have the issues even when all other monitors are unplugged and I’m just using my main monitor at 60hz.

I have always avoided anything but the simplest GPUs. Cubase audio projects require very little in the graphics dept.
Currently on my Cubase PC, I run 5 1920x1080 monitors from 2 ancient ATI cards. Latency Monitor reports < 100us interrupt to process latency and slightly over 100us interrupt execution time.
I say this only to illustrate the fact that your setup should scream compared to this so something is definitely amiss.
What does Latency Monitor report when Cubase is NOT running?
Have you experimented with the Nvidia control panel settings at all? I understand there is a GPU power setting there.
Do you know if your motherboard shares PCIe lanes on some slots. My ASUS X99-A MB shares lanes with the M2 socket on one slot so a GPU would not use the full x16 or x8 PCIe bus. So I have to put the GPUs in 2 particular slots and nowhere else.
You might look in the MB bios settings for anything PCIe performance related as well. At least one of my PCs bios allows setting the max PCIe version supported.
In general, I would adjust one at a time, anything remotely video related and use Latency Monitor as a probe.

Was looking around about Nvidia and latency and found this

Switching the PCI_E from auto to 8X8 and to Gen 4 seems to have fixed the issue. My lesson is to not take it for granted that the BIOS will select the correct setting by default.

Here is the thread.
https://www.soundonsound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=84807