Cubase pitching everything one semitione too high

For some reason Cubase is pitched one semitone too high. This is on playback, record, import and even notes played on midi keyboard Controller. I’ve checked sound card, sample rates and pitch controls. i.e. play note C3. vst on screen keyboard shows C3 but note sounding is C#3. Import midi file key is C playback is C# but is showing in piano roll as C. Audio files are the same. Any ideas on what I’m missing.

Hi,

Please make sure your Project’s sample rate matches your Audio Device’s sample rate. My expectation is, one of them is 44.1kHz the other one is 48kHz.

1 Like

also check you haven’t accidentally changed the Transpose setting in the top information bar?

1 Like

thanks for this. Problem solved

Hi there Good People.
I came across this post and it also helped me fix my problem.
I’m an old-timer and thought I’d get into DAWs … my hair is even more grey than it was a month ago.
It seems that the Cubase 12 default sample rate is 44.1 kHz. I started by just having a keyboard controller connected to Cubase and sure enough the sample rate is 44.1.
As I was just playing around, I COPIED the project over and over.
Later on I got the idea of using my Spark Amp as an audio interface.
I recorded some guitar into an earlier project and then wanted to add a synth bass.
Oops … everything is about a semitone out.

After 2 days of pulling my grey hair out I found this post.

Cubase project = 44.1 kHz and Spark Amp can only do 48 kHz.
NOTE: It seems to me that Cubase 12 matches the sample rate of the audio interface.
When I create a new project (I’d previously only copied old ones) then the Cubase sample rate for the new project is 48 kHz.
Thanks again …

Thanks man, you saved my life. :slight_smile:
But I have no idea how could I accidentally change this setting for all takes in my project. There is really a lot of instruments and a lot of small takes. Isn’t there some general setting that causes everything I record will turn to be transposed?

Hi,

This is something totally different from the Pitch Bend. We are using Pitch Bend to make continuous pitch changes. What you are describing now sounds like a static change.

This might be caused by the Sample Rate mismatch. Maybe your Audio Device Sample Rate doesn’t match the Project’s Sample Rate. Or the audio files Sample Rate doesn’t match the Project’s Sample Rate.

If the transpose is around 2 semitones, this is very often the 44.1 vs 48kHz ratio.

No, samplerate is ok. My problem was what Misnoma described. MIDI tracks can be transposed in three different ways:

1. Inside of MIDI data - in this case you just move notes in editor up or down and the pitch of notes you see in editor are the same that you hear - C is C.
  2. In the track parameters - here you see and hear different notes - e.g. if you set Track transpose to +1 you see C in editor, but you hear C#.
  3. In the top information bar (I did not know about this, till Misnoma found out) - it works the same way than Track Transpose but it affect only selected part of track data and you can set or see it only in the top information bar (if it is visible).