Cubase Pro 10.5.11 won't start

Hi,

I just updated Cubase with a hotfix and now it won’t start.

I get the splash screen and then it loads something and after that it just closes. No crash report, nothing…

Please help,

LG, Miha

same here

It starts if I run it in safe mode, disabling plug-ins and disabling program preferences. If I only disable program preferences without disabling loading plug-ins it won’t start either…

you need to delete/move preferences(hidden) folder from user/library/preferences/Cubase 10.5

Move/delete to desktop . then open Cubase. it will rescan all plugins … and it will work

Same here.

It’s something to do with VST2 Plugins.
If I remove all my VST2 Plugins and startup with just VST3 ones it opens fine.
I then start adding back VST2 plugins one by one and restarting Cubase to see which one it is - but it isn’t any one specific! At some point it will just start crashing again, so I remove them all and start adding them back, but now it crashes on a different one - one that loaded ok the last time…

Come on Steinberg, what the hell is going on?

Hi there,

Is there a crash report that you could send us?

Does Cubase start if you delete your preferences folder? Don’t forget to create a backup of your pref folder before deleting it!

Please excuse the inconvenience.

Hi Matthias,

It doesn’t make any crash report as it just closes cubase without anything. But I found a temporary solution as I have to finish a project tonight :slight_smile:

I deleted:

Vst2xPlugin Whitelist Cubase.xml
Vst2xPlugin Blacklist Cubase.xml

from /Users/username/Library/Preferences/Cubase 10.5 and now it starts…

So, everyone else having exact problem, try doing this before Steinberg releases official solution/workaround.

LG, Miha

Yes, a plug-in rescan is needed. Are the critical plug-ins now on the blacklist?

This has worked for me - thanks for the tip!

It might be that you just need to delete the plugin xml’s so they are rebuilt.

Again - as with 10.5.10, loads of plugins are again blacklisted that work perfectly OK in V10…

This is due to new restrictions by Apple. Any new software released after the 1st February 2020 needs to apply the so called “Hardened Runtime” which prevents some old plug-ins to work. The developer of these plug-ins need to provide updates for this. Nothing Steinberg can do.

Only thing strange is, that it did not rescanned the plugins. It just worked… I’ve got the notice that ValhallaRoom 32bit is blacklisted, that was all…

Is there a shortcut key (like for safe mode) to rescan all the plugins on startup?

LG, Miha

Unfortunately not. But that might be a good additional feature for the safe start mode.

Hi,

Thanks for your help, I managed to start it again that way. But since, I can’t switch Kontakt 5 which have been blacklisted to the white list, Cubase crashes anytime… I’m pretty sure it’s 64bits so i don’t know what to do to make it work again, any help ?

Could you please send us the crash report? We will have to get in touch with NI.

This worked - thank you

Have you updated to the latest version of Kontakt 5.8.1? It’s not getting blacklisted on my system.

Thanks for the advice. Had the same problem. Now working and scanning again. No need to delete the whole prefs folder.
P.S.
To early, doesn’t work, same again.

If this is still an issue, you could help us by doing the following:

1. In macOS, start the “Console” app
  2. Left side, navigate to “User Reports” (macOS Mojave 10.14) / “Crash Reports” (macOS Catalina 10.15)
  3. Look for reports created by either “vstscanner” or “vst2xscanner”
  4. Check the date, its only interesting to check for these entries within February, resp. this week
  5. Right click on one of them, select “Reveal in Finder”
  6. Then grab the relevant log files (according to date, etc.) and add them as an attachment to a ticket to support or a PM to me.

Hello there. I just purchased the update and I have the same problem - Cubase 10.5 won’t open! I have tried to locate the vst files, but I am unsure where they are. I am on ASUS 64bit win10 so i am guessing there should be a different path. I am not that tech savvy so I would really appreciate a ismple recipe to follow. I am making music for a film this week, so was really counting on my setup to work :confused: