Cubase Pro 10.5 - UR28M and AXE I/O

I have some questions concerning audio interfaces and Cubase.

I am using Cubase Pro 10.5 on a WIN10 PC. My audio interface is the Steinberg UR28M, which works very well for recording my vocals, acoustic guitars and electric guitars. My recordings are solo (myself only), and the UR28M has the right number of inputs and features to support my needs.

Recently, I purchased an AXE I/O audio interface, which has specialized features for recording electric guitars (features not available on the UR28M). This interface also has additional line and mic inputs, but not all of the features (and possibly pre-amp quality) as the UR28M.

Ideally, I would like to connect both interfaces to my PC/DAW and select whatever input I might need from either interface during a recording session. However, everything I have read indicates that this is not possible.

I understand it might be possible to use ASIO4ALL as a software approach to bundle all inputs from both interfaces, but I might lose some Steinberg features, and I would be adding latency to the chain. I am not sure that this is even a supported solution, and I don’t fully understand this approach (assuming it’s valid).

Switching audio interfaces during recording sessions seems like my only option, which is cumbersome and takes away from the creative flow. But this appears to be my only choice … if I want to utilize both interfaces.

Questions:

1. Is there a way to simultaneously connect both interfaces to my PC/DAW that I missed?

2. If I must resort to switching interfaces during recording sessions, is it necessary to always reset all interface configuration settings?

3. Are there any thoughts on how best to utilize both interfaces in my set-up?

A few years back I used multiple hardware devices that connected to Cubase via ASIO I bought them not knowing that Cubase will only allow one ASIO device and for a time I used the ASIO4ALL and it did work. It was not supported back then and I suspect it is still not. You just have to try it out and see. Likely nobody will recommend it because it is not supported. It actually did work for me, but when I think about the complexity of the setup, I don’t remember it fondly at all! And when I upgraded to a new setup, I wanted a REALLY simple workflow! (see my setup below) For me simple is better, especially when trying to be creative to get tracks laid down. Having done that – for me I would not go that route again. For me, I would return the AXE I\O and instead get some great guitar tone plugins for Cubase or much better yet get a used “Line 6 POD HD PRO X Multi Effect Processor” (eBay $350ish) for the same amount of money as the AXEIO and plug that into the UR28M – you could try pluging the AXE I\O standalone into the UR28M, but I suspect you would loose the use of the plugins that come with the AXEio. If you have another computer you could run the AXEIO there as a front-end into the UR28M on separate PC, but again can’t use ASIO into Cubase without purchasing a second license but if you did you could use Steinbergs VST System Link to tie both DAWs together. As for switching setups you can save the settings in Cubase “Studio\Audio Connections I\O” to switch back and forth quicker to reset all the interface configs. Still the downside is learning to use more hardware and more setups. I think that would be a PITA. Tough choices to make, maybe others will give additional insights – eh?

I appreciate your insights. I’m likely going to stick with the UR28M as my primary DAW interface, for the reasons you mentioned. It is complicated enough dealing with one chain of hardware and related software. Introducing another interface adds complexity, which I prefer to avoid.

For now, I will hang onto the AXE I/O and use it with my PC (outside of the DAW) to jam along with other recordings and experiment with its’ emulation capabilities.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts.