Cubase Pro 11 work w/ Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB Audio Interface?

I’m a filmmaker building my own studio. I purchased Cubase Pro 11 for PC and now I need a quality audio interface. I have Bose Companion 20 speakers.

Does Cubase Pro 11 work well w/ Focusrite Clarett 4Pre USB Audio Interface?? I’m obviously looking solely at using Cubase for film scoring and voice over - intending to use the virtual instruments.

Side note: Do I need a midi keyboard or can I get away with a mouse??

Hi and welcome on the forum,

Cubase is working with any Audio Device. If there a dedicated ASIO driver, for the Audio Device, it’s even better. Unfortunately not all Audio Devices have solid and stable drivers. From my personal experience, Focusrite is one of them.

Steinberg has solid and stable ASIO drivers for sure.

You don’t need a MIDI keyboard. You can do everything with a mouse and computer keyboard. But it’s much faster to record the music, if you can play the instrument.

1 Like

Any audio interface with asio drivers will work. The Claret should be fine. If you intend to use midi and virtual instruments then I would say a keyboard is essential. You can use a mouse or step recording but a keyboard makes life so much easier. For the record I use an RME interface who are known for stable drivers. A lot depends on the computer though. Even on the rme forum there are people with problems

1 Like

Thanks for the reply and info. I went with the CC121 controller, Steinberg’s URC816 Audio Interface and a Kensington Expert wired track ball (Dom’s Youtube videos). I’m presuming the audio interface and driver communicates with my PC and Cubase Pro 11 software via USB port wherein which the sound then comes out of my Bose Companion 20 PC speakers off my motherboard???

I went with the CC121 controller, Steinberg’s URC816 Audio Interface and a Kensington Expert wired track ball (Dom’s Youtube videos). I’m presuming the audio interface and driver communicates with my PC and Cubase Pro 11 software via USB port wherein which the sound then comes out of my Bose Companion 20 PC speakers off my motherboard???

No the sound does not come out of your motherboard. The Bose speakers have an audio input so you will have to go from the output of the URC816 into the input of the Bose. Cubase will use one audio interface driver which will be the urc816. The onboard audio on your computer plays no part in what you are doing and is by far inferior to your new urc816.

1 Like

Ok. Understood. The sound comes out of my MEG ACE motherboard now for all my apps and software except Cubase. Now I know why. Thanks. I’ll unplug my Bose speakers from my PC and connect them to the Audio Interface as you instructed. Thank you for your expertise. I presume I can then have all my apps and software use the URC816 for sound??

You can select the outputs of the URC in windows audio configuration

1 Like

Thanks.