Cubase Pro 8.0.10 Crashes when copying insert effects

Cubase Pro 8 very often crashes when I attempt to copy (Alt-drag-and-drop) an insert effect from one track to another in the Mixer.

About 8 times out of 10 it works fine to copy insert effect plugins between tracks, but quite often it will instead cause Cubase to crash (immediate crash without any warnings or error reports). The Cubase 8 process is still alive and visible in the task list after the crash, but it can’t be killed, so a computer restart is required. (I do this copy operation often during my mixing sessions and typically need to restart the system once or twice an hour. Very very frustrating).

I have not noticed any particular plugins that consistently cause these crashes. It happens with various different 3rd party plugins. (Yesterday it happened with both DMG Audio EQuick and Acon Digital Equalize for example. Sometimes copying works, sometimes not).

The only cumbersome workaround I know of is saving the plugin settings for one track then starting a new instance on the second track and loading the preset.

Can I debug it somehow? Some error log that could give me some clues?

Version: Cubase Pro 8.0.10
Computer: Intel i7 CPU, 32 Gb RAM, M-Audio Delta 2496 audio i/f

Hello,

I suspect this is related either to the .NET Framework installation or the audio driver.

Please, check that .NET Framework is installed and then run Windows Update, this will also update the .NET installation.

If the issue persists, I would recommend to install ASIO4ALL (http://asio4all.com/) and see if this solves it.
The fact that Cubase stalls in the Task Manager indicates that there is a hanging process which prevents Cubase from closing properly.

I use DMG Audio EQs (all three) very often and can’t confirm any issue with their plug-ins on Windows (I only tested 64-bit plug-ins in Cubase Pro 8 x64, though, are you also using an x64 installation?). Never tested the Acon one.

The crash dumps are saved here: Documents → Steinberg → Crash Dumps. I will have a look at them.

Kind regards,

Thanks a lot for the info Fabio! Much appreciated!

I will make sure the latest .NET is installed and I’ll check for updated drivers for my audio i/f (and test ASIO4ALL if prev suggestions don’t help). I’ll get back to you with the results. And yes, I’m using the x64 version (sorry, I forgot to mention that).